Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:26 PM   #21

I appreciate the explanations. But, I am still a bit confused. I understand the comparisons going from film 35mm to dSLR. But, I am a post film SLR user. So, my concern is comparing brand to brand.

Say I am comparing a 14-42mm Oly lens with 18-55mm canon lens. At 40mm will I see the same field of view or will the the Oly be more "cropped" due to the 4/3rds factor.?

Thanks,
DW

Last edited by Hotoru; Jun 8, 2009 at 1:10 AM.
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:36 PM   #22
Super Moderator

The Oly will be more cropped.

You basically have the following.

Full Frame (35mm sized sensor) e.g. Nikon D3, D700, Canon 1Ds mkIII, Canon 5D, Sony A900 etc

1.3x Crop (APS-H size) e.g. Canon 1D mk III

1.5x Crop (APS-C size) e.g. Nikon D60, D300, Sony A350, Pentax K20

1.6x Crop (APS-C size) e.g. Canon 500D, 50D

2x Crop (4/3 size) e.g. Oly and Panasonic.

So the more crop the narrower the field of view with the same length lens.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 1:13 AM   #23

Thanks for the reply Mark. That clears thing up well for me. I can see the desire for a full frame sensor. But, the size weight of the Olympus is nice. Looking at the size difference between a Nikon D40 and my Olympus 510 I sometimes wonder if it is worth the extra 0.5 crop for the small difference in size.
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:26 AM   #24
Super Moderator

When it comes to making a decision on a camera system as pretty much when going with a dSLR this is the case I would look at not only the body you are considering now, but also the lenses that you might go for in the future, accessories like flash etc etc.

With the camera itself things to take into consideration are handling, ease of control, focus accuracy/speed, noise levels so if you are down to two cameras or even if you are still looking for general camera advice I would post in this section http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ould-i-buy-80/

Let people know what sort of things you want to shoot as that can have a big effect on what system/body will work best for you now and in the future.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:55 AM   #25
Super Moderator

I should also just add that for creative shooting then the larger the sensor the better as it allows you to get a more shallow dof.