Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion-11/)
-   -   GE A735 slow shutter problem ? (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/general-discussion/156310-ge-a735-slow-shutter-problem.html)

pfm Jun 14, 2009 12:28 AM

GE A735 slow shutter problem ?

Hi,
I noticed that in normal/auto mode the shutter speed of the GE A735 does not go over 1/30. Is this normal for this camera ?? Or is this a problem ?
Even in full bright daylight it barely manages to above 1/194 (thats an odd shutter).
It doesn't go faster than 1/30 in "sports" mode too where you'd expect the shutter to be faster for fast action shots.

Is this a known problem with this camera ?
Please advise.
Thanks!

TCav Jun 14, 2009 6:06 AM

This definately sounds like there's something wrong. Just in case there's some other setting that's fouling you up, you might try to reset the settings to their default values. See page 78 of your manual.

pfm Jun 14, 2009 9:46 AM

thanks for your reply.

yes I have already done that. I have reset the camera to factory default settings also did their firmware upgrade in hopes that it might fix it, but no luck.

TCav Jun 14, 2009 11:35 AM

Is this a problem you've always had with thsi camera, or is this something that has cropped up recently?

pfm Jun 14, 2009 1:09 PM

actually I bought it at a Sears store couple of days ago where they had it as a closeout for $40. Figured I could use it as the 'second' (third ;)) camera or just use for anything or let the kids have it for their 'kid camera'. And it was like that right out of the box.

TCav Jun 14, 2009 2:14 PM

I just read the manual for the A735 adn couldn't find anything that would cause the problem you're having. If it's not too much trouble, you might take it back, and before you leave the store, try the new one and see if it does the same thing.

pfm Jun 14, 2009 2:34 PM

Thanks for checking into it. The manual is horrible. it doesn't even mention most of the options that are in the camera.

That was exactly what I was going to do too - return this one and check the new one before leaving the store. I might have to go with the A835 since I dont think they'd have any A735s left. The A835 is for $60. I am also seeing some Kodak C913 around that are going for the same price. I wonder which would be better choice between the two.

rinniethehun Jun 14, 2009 7:17 PM

I think you should post this in the GE Forum...whaddya think TCav? (snicker...snicker)

the Hun

TCav Jun 14, 2009 10:22 PM

:banghead2:

BillDrew Jun 15, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfm (Post 977000)
Hi,
... Even in full bright daylight it barely manages to above 1/194 (thats an odd shutter)....

What is the largest aperture with that camera and what ISO were you shooting at? Did the picture look properly exposed? With a $40 camera I wouldn't be surprised if f/8 was about as fast as it would go and ISO of 50 or 100 would mean something like 1/200th could be just fine.

And if it does shoot at 1/194th, that is faster than 1/30th. And it is likely no one but the programmer of the internal computer in the camera has the slightest idea what "sports" mode means.