Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:29 PM   #1
FP

Default FLIP reports smaller capacity

My FLIP video camcorder (model 225) has been GREAT, and I've used it non-stop for almost a year. I got it for $13 from BIG LOTS. Lately, it's reporting less recording capacity than it used to.

Formerly, when the camera was empty, the screen said "30:00 minutes remaining" or something like that. Now, even though all files have been removed, it claims to have capacity of twenty minutes or less. Batteries are charged, camera is working fine otherwise.

My routine is to fill it up, then dump the video onto an XP machine through the front USB port. VEGAS loads the files directly, which makes editing easy. The camera hasn't been bumped or soaked or anything. WINDOWS reports:
TOTAL SIZE 497 megs
FREE SPACE 328 megs

Any ideas on why capacity is disappearing? Is the FLASH RAM wearing out or something? Can "phantom files" hide on the FLIP?
FP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:34 PM   #2

If you have the ability to format from the camera menu, try that. Some cameras create file folders based on the date or other information, and when you upload the files (videos) to your computer, the folder information is left behind. After enough of these accumulate, you will see a reduction in available space.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:33 AM   #3
FP

Hey, thanks! I copied off the system files, formatted as FAT under Windows, then copied the system files back to the camera. All 30 minutes of capacity are now restored. My manual is in storage, and GOOGLE didn't help me right away, but this worked...
FP is offline   Reply With Quote