Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Default How to retrieve corrupted photos on data DVD?

How to retrieve corrupted photos on data DVD?

I burned some high quality photos to a DVD a few months ago, and now when I try to copy the files to my new external hardrive, I notice some of the files won't copy, and freeze up windows. Sometimes a warning comes up says, there is a I/O problem, or cycle redundancy error, other times it just freezes on one file, while others copy fine. I am worried because about 20% of my pictures are still on the discs, and I want them on my drive where they are safe.

My question is what can I do to retrieve the corrupted files?

Thanks
saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Try photorec. It's free.

Select your DVD from the list of media it finds and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked "Where to Save Recovered Files" (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec named recup_1, etc.), but you can change it to something else if desired.

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any images it can find.

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3

Saren....
If JimC's recommendation doesn't help, try this...I don't know how much you know about dvd disc speed or how to slow it down on your computer, some burners let you set the read/transfer speed, but if you can, try slowing the spin speed and burn a new dvd...I had a hard drive crash back in January and one of my reload data disc's would not load...Program kept telling me "corrupted"...I took the disc to BestBuy and the guy told me that he could reburn it at a slower rpm and fix my problem...He did and it worked...When I got home I checked to see if I could have done it on my pc and with my program, I could have...But try Jim's suggestion first...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Administrator

Try a different PC if you have one, too. Sometimes one DVD Reader can read media that another one has problems with.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote