Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Consumers only get ripped-offed if they are dumb and dont know the price of the item they are buying

Even if I agreed with that, which I donít. It doesnít change the fact they got ripped off. You canít blame the dishonesty of the seller on the stupidity of the buyer.

As for knowing the price. The price of photo equipment varies widely and changed rapidly. It always has. There are many factors involved and finding a great deal does not mean a dishonest one.

Yes many stores sell grey market quipment, but they also let you know up front thatís what you buying. Last I looked B&H had a declaimer page explaining the proís and cons of buying grey market linked to their grey market items
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2009, 5:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by romphotog View Post
Consumers only get ripped-offed if they are dumb and dont know the price of the item they are buying.Last year I walked into one of those camera shops on Broadway, and the guy wanted to sell me a 1gb SD for $60, then as I was walking away he yelled $30.At The Zone(which is thankfully out of business) the man told me J&R sells grey market, but his SD cards are real. Trusted and "honest" stores such as The Wiz, Circuit City, CompUSA went bust. I assure you, B&H, J&R, Adorama, PC Richards, Best Buy etc. have grey market, refurbished/returned merchandise as well.
Yes B&M stores have reburbs/returns, open box etc. Hopefully the items are fully disclosed as such. If disclosure is lacking then you have grounds for legal action.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Trusted and "honest" stores such as The Wiz, Circuit City, CompUSA went bust. I assure you, B&H, J&R, Adorama, PC Richards, Best Buy etc. have grey market, refurbished/returned merchandise as well.
Adorama and B&H do sell refurbs and gray market gear...however they are clear and up front about it and clearly mark the merchandise as such. As far as I know BBY doesn't sell refurbs, although they do sell open box merch, and again it is usually clearly labled as such. These businesses also do not use the high pressure and other questionable sales tactics such as selling items that should be in box like chargers, batteries etc for high prices and then suddenly back order the items when you don't go along. The store you list that went bust, did not go out of business because of lack of "honesty". They had their issues, but being dishonest for the most part wasn't one of them. Mentioning these businesses in the same breath with the Brooklyn dealers is an insult.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:56 PM   #14

Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
I assure you, B&H, J&R, Adorama, PC Richards, Best Buy etc. have grey market, refurbished/returned merchandise as well.
We do, indeed.

All refurbished items sold by Adorama are delivered to us directly from the manufacturer's factory where they were refurbished. All refurbished Nikon sold by Adorama carry a 90-day return-to-Nikon warranty, and all refurbished Canon carry a 12-month return-to-Adorama warranty.

We actually sell very few direct import (grey market) items, but they are available - and very clearly marked on our website - for the benefit of customers who want to make savings, or for International customers who benefit from the merchant's warranty that we offer.

Returned goods are either sold as 'open box' or sent back to the manufacturer or distributor.

I hope this helps, but if you ever have a query or concern regarding an order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com
HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 9:09 PM   #15

Helen - You brought up an interesting point. I know that you ship world-wide (as does B&H). If you import something to the US from (say) Japan, and then sell it to someone in Japan - does the buyer have the same warranty as he would have if he bought it in Japan, or does the manufacturer's warranty become void when you import it into the States? I'm curious how it might work.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 3:05 AM   #16

Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Helen - You brought up an interesting point. I know that you ship world-wide (as does B&H). If you import something to the US from (say) Japan, and then sell it to someone in Japan - does the buyer have the same warranty as he would have if he bought it in Japan, or does the manufacturer's warranty become void when you import it into the States? I'm curious how it might work.

I have an answer, and I learned something: It would be cheaper to order a product from the States even if it’s an item that's been imported from Japan.

As you probably know, both direct import (grey market) and USA warrantied items come from the same factory……however if something gets imported privately and not through the USA company, it would be much cheaper.

If a customer lives out of the USA it’s better for him to get grey market, because if he purchases a USA version he would have to send it back to the Sates for repair.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Last edited by HelenOster; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: additional info
HelenOster is offline   Reply With Quote