Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:30 AM   #1

Default Broadway Photo - BU$TED!!!! - NY Attorney General

As part of the deal, five of the companies Best Price Camera, Foto Connection, 1 Way Photo, 86th Street Photo and Broadway Photo have agreed to change their business practices and accept continual monitoring. Two other companies, Camera Wiz and Sonic Photo, will close.

...as they swindled customers seeking cameras, camcorders, projectors and other items out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, the state attorney general, Andrew M. Cuomo, said on Thursday in a news release.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...onsumer-fraud/

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/715236.html
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2009, 6:05 AM   #2
Administrator

It's about time. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 6:35 AM   #3

NY has always had some of the toughest Attorneys General in the country. It puzzles me why this took so long.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:03 PM   #4

Pardon my language, but it is about damn time.

As much as everybody in this industry would like these arsewipes go out of business, it is better they hang around with a lot of close Uncle Leo enforcement than just changing their names and fleecing another group of customers.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 9:52 PM   #5

That is good News.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 12:17 AM   #6

They got away with it far too long, someone must have been protecting them.
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiya View Post
They got away with it far too long, someone must have been protecting them.
Let's see, they were located in Brooklyn and many of their cousins are located in New Jersey.

Coincidence regarding Brooklyn and New Jersey? I wonder, I wonder.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDgpt View Post
Let's see, they were located in Brooklyn and many of their cousins are located in New Jersey.

Coincidence regarding Brooklyn and New Jersey? I wonder, I wonder.
The manufacturers aren't totally innocent, they must have been made aware of what was happening long ago.
tsiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiya View Post
The manufacturers aren't totally innocent, they must have been made aware of what was happening long ago.
Manufacturer's hands were tied.... for lots of reasons.

First, there are distributors, not the manufacturers, who were selling some of the products to the scum suckers.

Secondly, state franchisee laws are involved. The same laws that Chrysler is trying to bypass in canceling a chunk of their dealers. Wait till the lawsuits and court orders settle out to determine if Chrysler really is able to cancel all those dealers and at what cost to Chrysler.

Oh, and the jerkwads also used a bunch of aliases to shuffle stock from legitimate behaving dealers in their family of related companies to the scum sucking divisions.

And then there are the grey market issues. Canon.USA, Nikon.USA, Sony.USA, Panasonic.USA etc etc (the companies refer to as the manufacturers) are really independent subsidiaries of the .Japan entity. Basically .USA is considered a customer of .Japan. The .USA entity pays all USA customs and tariff fees, pays for .USA warranty, .USA advertising, .USA customer support and .USA distribution costs all the while hoping to turn a profit for .USA and in turn for the .Japan entity.

.Paraguay, .Canada, .Ireland etc are all the same as .USA. The difference is how much volume is purchased plus how taxes and fees are collected and applied.

In the USA, custom fess and tariffs are collected at the time of importation. In other countries the custom fees and tariffs are collected at the point of sale to the retail customer (like sales taxes in the USA). This means the custom fees and tariffs in some of those other countries can be avoided if the product is never sold to a retail customer.

Also, .USA builds warranty, support etc costs into the selling price of the camera (or whatever) to the reselling dealer or distributor. In other countries the warrany and support is performed exclusively by the reseller and if the camera or whatever is never going to be used in that country, the reseller is able to ignore thoses costs and sell the product for less $ than other dealers.

Also remember I mention volume. .Canada is competing against .USA for sales volume and price incentives from .Japan. So is .Paraguay. If .Paraguay can find a sucker in another country to buy up excess stock, and .Paraguay can find a way around taxes, service fees etc, then it is in .Paraguay's best interest (like keeping their jobs or getting a raise) to dump stock into another country.

Sure .Japan cares. But they don't care either. It is just more sales for them. Besides, the problem for .USA is not a problem for .Japan because .USA is an independant subsidiary (customer) of .Japan.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:25 PM   #10

Consumers only get ripped-offed if they are dumb and dont know the price of the item they are buying.Last year I walked into one of those camera shops on Broadway, and the guy wanted to sell me a 1gb SD for $60, then as I was walking away he yelled $30.At The Zone(which is thankfully out of business) the man told me J&R sells grey market, but his SD cards are real. Trusted and "honest" stores such as The Wiz, Circuit City, CompUSA went bust. I assure you, B&H, J&R, Adorama, PC Richards, Best Buy etc. have grey market, refurbished/returned merchandise as well.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote