Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 6, 2003, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from Fuji FinePix 2650, what to get?

I currently have a Fuji FinePix 2650 and am generally satisfied with it but I want an upgrade. I am looking to spend around $300-$400 on the camera, I have been reading reviews and doing research but I need your help. Below is what I am looking for the camera to have. I am considering the Canon S400 or Canon A70, what do you think?

- At least 2MP
- Good optical zoom
- Good sized LCD
- Ability to take movies with sound
- Good cheap media
- Takes good closeup, night, and low light pictures
- Takes pictures quickly, low delay rate
- Uses AA batteries would be best
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:17 PM   #2

I think the S400 fits your criteria very well except for the AA batteries. Many cameras are going away from that anyway. I think you can realistically expect to fill a 256Mb CF card with best quality JPGs. AAs arenít space efficient enough to use in that small a camera.

Not too much out there in small cameras with large LCDs except for the Casio EX-Z4. I hope they start a trend.

You might also look at the Minolta G500. It uses SD cards, but it is a 5Mp camera and sufficiently cheaper online than the S400 that you could buy a 256Mb SD card instead of CF and probably still come out ahead. The S400 has a focus assist light but the G500 has a better low light focus system. They both have long exposure noise reduction and 15 second exposures in manual mode, so they should both be good for night photography. Both take 320 X 240 pixel movies with sound. Some of the small Sony cameras take 640 X 480 movies which are a lot nicer. Neither are particularly great for shutter lag at about a second if you donít pre-focus.

Inoax has the G500 for $311 delivered and 6th Ave has the S400 for $355 delivered are the best prices I see for reliable retailers. Accupc has a Kingston 256Mb SD card for $74 delivered and Newegg has a 256Mb CF card for $62 delivered are the best prices I see on Kingston cards. Kingston isnít necessarily the best but I wanted to compare apples with apples. That would make a total price of $32 less for the 5Mp Minolta. You can often find better rebate deals on CF at sites like techdeals and techbargains, but I still think the 5Mp G500 is the better buy unless you have other devices you want to use the CF cards in.

Go to a store and try some out.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:40 PM   #3

Thanks for your imput, I will check out that Minolta...

I am also now considering the Canon A70
Old Nov 6, 2003, 5:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Reference the G500...

I think I probably got the first one around in the U.S. (Konica KD-510z, a.k.a., Minolta DiMAGE G500) in Mid July. I specifically looked for (and found) a Japanese Model (it was released in Japan at the end of June). Konica-Minolta recently released the same camera in the U.S. under the Minolta logo as the DiMAGE G500.

I really like the camera. The best part, is that I can now carry a camera with me everywhere in a pocket (I carry mine in my front pants pocket), ready to take a photo "on a moments notice".

You can see some photos from mine here:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

P.S.

I read some of your reviews (motherboard, video card, etc.) on your web site. Great Work! When I get ready to upgrade my PC again, I may ask you for advise.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:02 PM   #5

Looks like another good opinion on the G500, its a bit out of my price rage because I have to consider also buying the 256MB card. Also I think my budget is now $300-350 so I dunno if I can swing the G500 we shall see. Any opinions on the Canon A70?

Thanks for the comment on the site, maybe I will see you in my forums sometime
Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:41 PM   #6
Administrator

The Canons are well thought of models, with lots of manual control.

You'll get a 64% increase in the number of pixels going from 2 to 3 Megapixels. Of course, you'd get a much larger increase going from 2 to 5 Megapixels (162%).

It all depends on how you are using the photos. If they are only for web use, then your existing camera should have plenty of resolution, and the Fuji photos from your model are well saturated.

If you want larger prints (> 8x10") -- with some ability to crop, then I'd go for a higher resolution model.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 7:45 PM   #7

Its mainly for my website and for fun, currently I am not printing any photos on a good printer or anything.

I do want to upgrade to a nice photo printer in the future so that I can print at least 8x10s on quality photo paper. I also would like a camera that can do some sound with the video (however I will be getting a digi camcorder soon)

Other than that I just want a little bit of an upgrade
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:44 AM   #8
Administrator

Well -- I'd make sure to buy from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy, just to make sure you like the new camera better.

I have a friend with a Fuji 2600 (predecessor to your 2650), and she absolutely loves it. She takes photos of various items to sell on Ebay with it, and it performs wonderfully.

My point is that you may end up liking the photos from your existing camera better, even though it's only 2 Megapixels.

BTW, I've gotten outstanding 8x10" photos from a 2 Megapixel Camera. Here's an example of one that I printed 8x10"'s for Christmas Presents to family members a while back. They could not believe that the photo was taken by a Digital Camera, and it was only 2 Megapixels (like your Fuji).

See this one (my wife's daughter). I thought I was going to wear out my printer, I printed so many copies of it in various sizes from it for my relatives (including lots of 8x10's).

Original Size (very large on screen) -- 2 Megapixel Photo from a Nikon 950:
http://www.pbase.com/image/20951439/original.jpg

Large Size (better for on screen viewing):
http://www.pbase.com/image/20951439/large.jpg

BTW, except for redeye correction, the photo is directly from the camera (no sharpening, color changes, contrast, brightness, etc.).

You'd be surprised at how well a 2MP can perform. Try printing some 8x10's from your Fuji (you can print them at Walmart, if you don't have a photo printer).

BTW, I still have the Nikon 950 (even though I've got a newer 5 Megapixel Camera -- the Konica KD-510z).

Even though the Nikon 950 is "only 2 Megapixels", it takes terrific photos.

Don't underestimate the quality you are getting from your existing camera. The newer 3 Megapixel Cameras (like the Canon A70 you're considering) will have a denser CCD (more pixels, packed into a small sensor). This means more noise, compared to the 2 Megapixel Sensor in your Fuji.

So - IMO, you should make SURE to buy from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy. Then, take photos with both cameras, and compare the results. I've got a feeling, that you may like the Fuji 2650 photos better from your existing model (based on the photos I've seen from my friends Fuji 2600).