Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Shooting football(soccer) players properly!

Hi all,

I could really do with some tips.

I am new to using a "proper" camera - I have just got a Nikon D50.

I am the programme editor for my local football (soccer) team and this year I want to get some excellent shots that I couldn't get on my old digital camera!

The bloke in the shop said that the way to do it was to alter certain settings.

If it is an overcast day then change the ISO to 800 and the shutter speed to 1/1000th sec speed, change the autofocus to AF-C and the AF-area mode to dynamic (he showed me how to do all this!)

If it is a sunny day then lower the ISO to 200 and change the shutter speed to 2/1000 sec.

Is there anything else that people can tell me taht will help in getting some great shots.

I also have a Tamron 70-300mm lens as well as the one that came with the camera (18-55mm)

Any help will be brilliant.

Cheers

Peter
HTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2

sent you a PM...
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3

Thank you JohnG.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:03 PM   #4
Administrator

Peter:

I think you'll find that most of our Sports Shooters prefer to use either Aperture Priority or Manual Exposure (but only if lighting is very consistent).

Now, the settings the camera shop suggested using Shutter Priority might work... But, you'd be "pushing the limits" of your available apertures with that lens. For example, on a very overcast day, you may need f/5.6 at ISO 800 to get proper exposure using 1/1000 second; or on a brighter day, you may need f/5.6 at ISO 200 to get proper exposure at 1/2000 second (I'm assuming the 2/1000 second was a typo and you meant 1/2000 second).

But, since your lens has a widest available aperture of f/5.6 on it's longer end, if the lighting is dimmer than you think, you could end up with an underexposed image trying that approach (since the camera couldn't open up the aperture any wider than f/5.6 at longer focal lengths).

I'd probably go Av (Aperture Value/Aperture Priority). Then, set ISO speed to where my shutter speeds were around 1/1000 second or faster with the Aperture set close to wide open (I'd probably go with around f/6.3 with that Tamron, which is 1/3 stop down from wide open if you're zooming in a lot) and use ISO 400 as a starting point, using ISO 800 if you need to in order to keep shutter speeds fast enough if it's overcast.

As for the focus modes, that's the settings I'd use (AF-C, AF Area set to Dynamic) with a D50. Note that you can select the focus point the camera will use for locking focus initially with your 4 way controller when using Dynamic Area. I'd use the Center Point (which is the most sensitive and accurate). Then, after you lock focus with a half press when using AF-C (continuous focus) mode, the camera will use all of the available focus points to help maintain accurate focus if the subject is moving with those settings.

BTW, here's a thread started by Mark1616 (one of our members and a moderator here) with some tips that may help. Mark shoots a lot of sports and used to have a Tamron 70-300mm lens he used with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (which like your D50, uses a Sony 6MP CCD Sensor).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sp...n-improve.html

Mark later went to the "dark side" and shoots Canon now. Just teasing Mark. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:22 PM   #5

Wow, thanks Jim.

A couple of questions - and please don't laugh too much :-)

Where do I find AV option in the camera - I have had a look through the menu but can't see it!

Also how do I get f/6.3 - I am a little confused by that

Those hockey pics are great - I would hope to get some football shots like that at some stage

Thank you for your comments on the focus modes - that makes a lot of sense now!

cheers

Peter
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:42 PM   #6
Administrator

You'll find lots of nice sports photos by Mark1616, JohnG and others in our Sports & Action Photos Forum. So, you may want to browse through some of the threads for more ideas and tips.

Av (Aperture Value, a.k.a., Aperture Priority) mode is the A position on your Mode Dial (in between the M and S positions). Here's a photo of the Mode Dial.

Once you have the Mode Dial set to A, half press and release the shutter button to turn your viewfinder display on. Then, when you spin the Control Dial, your aperture will change (and you can see that in your Viewfinder).

The Control Dial you'd use to set your Aperture when in Av Mode is in the upper right hand corner of this D50 image (just to the right of the AE-L/AF-L button)

Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:48 PM   #7

Blimey - thank you so much!

I am hoping to get a manual soon for the camera - the one I got is second hand and dosen't have one with it - so again thanks for showing me that!
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:54 PM   #8
Administrator

You'll find the reviews here to be a good resource for available camera settings. Here's a link to the D50 review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...nikon_d50.html

Also, you can download a .pdf version of a D50 manual from Nikon:

http://support.nikontech.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/13644
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:20 PM   #9

You guys are great - thanks so much!
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:24 PM   #10

Hi all,

Well, as I wondered - it turns out that everyone in my family is now an instant David Bailey and knows everything about photography!

However, I will turn to the people who do know everything!

One piece of info that was repeated was that I should rush out and buy a Flower Lens Hood. However I noticed that the only size seems to be 52mm which appears to be fine for the original lens that came with the camera but no good for the 62mm lens that I have (Tamron 70-300) and will be using at the football matches!

Please help before I go spare with my family!

Peter