Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:35 AM   #1

Default canon a70 v/s sony p72 or p8

i wanted to now which of these cameras delivers better image , im a newbie n hence dont thin ill be usin the manual controls. i need a digicam mainly for indoor shots , such as parties n all . i would like the camera to take shots very fast one after the other in normal mode . i need a camera which is also a bit durable , coz nothin stayz perfect in my hands , i had a nikon 4300 1st it fell n the lens mechanism broke so i sold that one .
aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2003, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator

I bought a Sony DSC-P10 (similiar to the P8 you're considering, only the P10 is 5 Megapixels).

I found that the flash recycle time was terrible (usually around 5 seconds). Indoor metering and Focus were also very inconsistent -- despite it's focus assist lamp.

I replaced the P10 with a Konica Revio KD-510z (now being marketed as the Minolta DiMAGE G500 in the U.S.).

The Konica is a MUCH better camera for indoor use. At closer (normal) distances (around 4 feet), I am able to take one photo every 2.1 seconds in continuous mode, including Flash Recycle time.

This is because the Konica "throttles down" the flash strength, depending on the range to your subject. I've been VERY impressed with it's indoor performance.

Regardless of how well a camera performs outdoors, you will be limited by flash recycle time indoors. So, I'd take this into consideration when purchasing a camera.

You may want to try out cameras in a store (many stores have demo models), taking photos at ranges you are likely to encounter, before making a decision.

Unfortunately, I know of no reviewers that measure flash recycle times (which is the biggest limiting factor for indoor photos).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 1:44 PM   #3

.........I found that the flash recycle time was terrible (usually around 5 seconds)..........

That is pretty quick for flash and no reason not to consider a camera. Most external units can be 8-10 seconds! The flash re-cycle time depends on a lot of things, but mainly how much light you expect from the flash burst, the sensitivity setting of the camera, f stop, charge state, batt. type and the shooting distance.

If you expect the internal flash to reach infinity at ISO 50 camera sensitivity, it will need more energy in the tube which has to get put back from your batts. So if you want quicker recycle times, put the ISO up, larger f stop (lower number) and keep the distance down! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:16 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
.........I found that the flash recycle time was terrible (usually around 5 seconds)..........

That is pretty quick for flash and no reason not to consider a camera. Most external units can be 8-10 seconds! The flash re-cycle time depends on a lot of things, but mainly how much light you expect from the flash burst, the sensitivity setting of the camera, f stop, charge state, batt. type and the shooting distance.

If you expect the internal flash to reach infinity at ISO 50 camera sensitivity, it will need more energy in the tube which has to get put back from your batts. So if you want quicker recycle times, put the ISO up, larger f stop (lower number) and keep the distance down! VOX
I read his original post. He was specifically looking for a camera that would be fast indoors, so I pointed out some problems I had with mine. He said "i need a digicam mainly for indoor shots , such as parties n all . i would like the camera to take shots very fast one after the other in normal mode"

You can read my user opinion of the Sony DSC-P10 here (and I was being "nice" to the camera):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=17422

You can read my user opinion of the Konica here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=17947

To be frank, out of all of the digicams I've owned over the last few years, the Sony DSC-P10 was the absolute worst indoor performer of any of them (in the focus accuracy, metering, and flash recycle time departments); and I've now owned 7 digital cameras (including the Konica I purchased in July).

About the only thing I found consistent about the indoor performance was the flash recycle time (always very slow) -- and I was shooting "wide open", at auto ISO (letting the camera bump up the ISO speed as needed, which it usually did).

Unfortunately, the metering was much worse (often underexposing indoor shots by at least 1 stop). It was also VERY inconsistent - totally different exposure results for the same subject in the same conditions with back to back shots indoors. The default metering was so bad indoors, that I ended up having to go to spot metering to get half way decent indoor photos in most conditions.

Outdoors, the camera was a much better performer -- sharp lens, fast cycle times, etc. My only major complaints with it outdoors, were that it consistently overexposed photos slightly outdoors (frequently resulting in blown highlights), and greens looked artificially bright (Dave Etchells at imaging-resource.com also reported this problem in his review).

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm just stating mine. I do not believe that the smaller Sonys would be suitable for his stated requirements:

"i need a digicam mainly for indoor shots , such as parties n all . i would like the camera to take shots very fast one after the other in normal mode"
Old Nov 7, 2003, 9:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I found that the flash recycle time was terrible (usually around 5 seconds).
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
That is pretty quick for flash and no reason not to consider a camera. Most external units can be 8-10 seconds!
It's not good to generalize...my own external flash (Metz 34-CS2 digital) can recycle in as little as 0.3 seconds if the flash doesn't use full power (which is most of the time)...at full power it can take 6 seconds.

Most internal camera flashes tend to need the full time even though they're only good for 10 feet...my external flash is good for 112 feet!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 9:57 PM   #6
Administrator

Mike:

I agree - it's not good to generalize.

However, I just wanted to point out my experience with the small Sony (DSC-P10). At typical flash ranges, it's recycle time is definitely the slowest I've ever seen -- out of 7 digital cameras that I've owned.

Sure -- at very close ranges, it's probably faster. But, in general (at typical flash ranges -- around 6 feet), it's MUCH slower than other cameras I've owned).

So, given the original posters requirements, I could not (in good conscience), recommend the "pocketable" Sonys.