Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Old SLR lenses

Hello! I am looking for some assistance with some old camera gear and I'm trying to decide what should be done.

I've had my eyes on upgrading my current point and shoot, the Canon PowerShot A80, to the XSi. Thanks to the fact that I've received a couple hundred dollars worth of gift certificates, getting that DLSR has become a whole lot easier. My only predicament is that I have some old lenses back home, and I think they may be incompatible. If they are incompatible, I wonder if they are still of value for another camera. If they are good lenses, I also wonder if I should consider a different camera to take advantage of the lenses I already have.

Here's the lens info I got when I called back home:

Lens #1
Soligor 28mm Wide Auto 1:2.8
Lens #2
Minolta/Hoya MD Zoom 70-210mm 1:4.5 - 5.6
Lens #3
Minolta MD Zoom 28-35mm 1:3.5 - 4.5

I understand that the lengths are the apperture ranges, but am I correct in understanding that the ratio is the aspect ratio? Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.
XanderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2

The lenses you have are all for the Minolta MC/MD manual focus lens mount. Minolta abandoned that mount in 1985 when they introduced the autofocus A-Mount. There are adapters to allow them to be used with newer Minolta and even Sony dSLRs, but the adapters cost more than the lenses are worth, and more even than equivalent but newer autofocus lenses would cost on the used market.

If you can find a buyer, you might be able to sell the Minolta lenses for $10-$15 each, but the Soligor isn't worth even that much.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2009, 1:13 PM   #3

Hah, that bad? Thanks a lot for the information and the quick reply.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 6:30 PM   #4

If you are looking at selecting a DSLR that will work with those lenses, then you can buy an Olympus DSLR. e.g. Olympus E-520

You would need a Minolta MC/MD -> 4/3 adapter, which costs around $45. Those Minolta MC/MD lenses will not fit a Canon XSi with an adapter(or newer Konica-Minolta or Sony), without the adapter having a glass element in it, reducing the image quality. The adapter for the Olympus will fit.

At least if you get the E-520 with the single lens kit you will have an autofocus lens to use. The lenses you have are all manual focus, and the kit lens would render two of the lenses redundant.

So it really comes to deciding if you want to base your decision(buying the DSLR) on three old lenses of limited use/value.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Right, understood.

These lenses aren't worth it, in my opinion. What's selling me on the XSi is its value and I really can't see any justification to make accommodations for lenses which aren't of value.

Thanks again for the help and input.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 6:29 PM   #6

Now of course, if you had a Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm F1.2 lens, and a Minolta MD 85mm F2, etc, then it would have been a different story.

I would have reccommended getting the Olympus E-520 (or E-620) for sure!!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote