Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:05 PM   #1

Default exif data question and the lens used

I notice in reading various photography mags that people tend to provide information on how a photo was taken, typically what lens was used as well as apeture, shutter, and ISO setting.

I've also noticed that a digital image's Exif info will contain a lot of information including the camera used, apeture, shutter, ISO settings etc... However, it appears that information regarding the lens used to capture an image is not displayed in the Exif file. Is this the case and if so, how do people with multiple lens keep track of what lens was used to capture an image in thier image library?

Thx
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michael_egan
MichaelT1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT1i View Post
I notice in reading various photography mags that people tend to provide information on how a photo was taken, typically what lens was used as well as apeture, shutter, and ISO setting.

I've also noticed that a digital image's Exif info will contain a lot of information including the camera used, apeture, shutter, ISO settings etc... However, it appears that information regarding the lens used to capture an image is not displayed in the Exif file. Is this the case ...?
Most manufacturers use the EXIF MakerNote fields for extra stuff like unique camera settings, plus a lens ID if one is available. (Minolta had a lens ID, but third party lens manufacturers frequently reused those same IDs for their own lenses, so you can't always count on that either.) And some manufacturers don't have a way to identify the lens used anyway. (I think Pentax falls into this category.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelT1i View Post
...and if so, how do people with multiple lens keep track of what lens was used to capture an image in thier image library?

My guess? Remembery.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 2:52 PM   #3
Administrator

That type of information is proprietary to a Camera Manufacturer and gets stored in the Maker Notes section of the metadata. Canon's software that came with your camera can probably tell you that info.

Support for decoding information in the Maker Notes tends to vary between third party software products, since developers have to reverse engineer it to figure out what a manufacturer is storing in that section.

Support for lens information is getting better with some Exif readers. I haven't paid that much attention to the products that decode that type of info for Canon dSLR models. But, I suspect PhotoME may be able to tell you.

If it doesn't give it to you, you may want to try ExifTool GUI (a GUI front end for Phil Harvey's ExifTool) and see if it can tell you lens info.

Another popular tool is IExif. You'd have to try it to see if Canon lens information is supported or not.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 3:02 PM   #4
Administrator

From what I can see from Phil Harvey's page on tags for Canon models, it looks like ExifTool should have relatively good support for lens information.

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Canon.html

If you scroll down a ways, you'll come to a section on Canon LensType Values where you'll see this, followed by a list of values and the specific lenses associated with them.

Quote:
Decimal values differentiate lenses which would otherwise have the same LensType, and are used by the Composite LensID tag when attempting to identify the specific lens model
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote