Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
Its very saddening ....
Not many option here.
A) try cropping and adjusting the photos at hand.
B) Reshooting.
C) Reshoot the aisle the bride and groom walked down, remove the
parties walking that aisle from the bad shots and place them in the new...
Good idea?

Wouldn't the crappy original photos look even worse because of the quality of the reshoots?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:27 AM   #22
conor

Ok, I have a few more, I'll try and remember to post them tonight when I get home.

It turns out that the pictures from the reception are quite decent, only the ones from the ceremony leave much to be desired.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 7:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDgpt View Post
Good idea?

Wouldn't the crappy original photos look even worse because of the quality of the reshoots?
I personally think when its all done it would be a better product.
Think about it, there is only so much cloning,cropping and repair one could do.
If the couple was selected, removed and, placed into new. you could adjust the background and couple so it all flows well.
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:12 AM   #24
conor

Here is three more from the ceremony, they're not quite as bad, but still leave a lot to be desired.

http://www.burningdeep.com/~phreak/d...79NTP_5727.jpg
http://www.burningdeep.com/~phreak/d...81NTP_5728.jpg
http://www.burningdeep.com/~phreak/d...83NTP_5730.jpg
Old Aug 19, 2009, 9:28 AM   #25
Super Moderator

Looks like the problems are pretty much due to focus. The first is clearly focused behind the couple. The 2nd I have no issue with as a 1600 shot apart from having a guest photographing in the way, the 3rd is again not quite focused on the couple. Potentially centre point focus wasn't used which could explain this.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:58 AM   #26
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Looks like the problems are pretty much due to focus. The first is clearly focused behind the couple. The 2nd I have no issue with as a 1600 shot apart from having a guest photographing in the way, the 3rd is again not quite focused on the couple. Potentially centre point focus wasn't used which could explain this.
And unfortunately, recovering from bad focus is very difficult... at least for me.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:03 AM   #27

I can't tell from the EXIF what the focus mode is but it would seem this all boils down to the photog not using continuous focus
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:30 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
And unfortunately, recovering from bad focus is very difficult... at least for me.
Yes bad focus is very hard to fix. I would never have included a photo to a client that wasn't in focus, framed well, exposed badly etc.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 12:59 PM   #29
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Yes bad focus is very hard to fix. I would never have included a photo to a client that wasn't in focus, framed well, exposed badly etc.
These are four sequential photos (when you include the one from the original post) according to the filenames. It looks like the photographer only took one of each couple coming down the aisle...

When I offered to help out doing the touch-ups and crops, I had no idea the task would be such a challenge. I was hoping that the majority of the work could be done in bulk as the photos were apparently taken by a 'professional'.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:04 PM   #30
Super Moderator

i don't envy the amount of work ahead of you on salvaging this set of images. as was mentioned the poor framing, poor white balance, and general out of focus theme is a very tough thing to fix after the fact. especially since they didnt even bother to take multiple sequental frames of each couple. how on earth did they expect to catch a good expression, etc.

i really feel for your coworker. these images could have come from any joe schmoe in the audiance with a camera. nothing professional about them at all. very sad...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote