Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by James G View Post
I personally think when its all done it would be a better product.
Think about it, there is only so much cloning,cropping and repair one could do.
If the couple was selected, removed and, placed into new. you could adjust the background and couple so it all flows well.
I was worried about well focused, well exposed background competing with the blob of trash in the middle of the frame.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 5:32 AM   #32

Quote:
you could adjust the background and couple so it all flows well.
The selecting, removing and placing into a new is something I do when creating 3D
slideshow movies from stills. The one thing I always find myself explaining to people is, you cannot take imperfect and make it perfect however, you can have better than was...
One of the big problems I have with this still is the elbow on the left, by having a new you'll not have that elbow popping out at ya. Another problem with placing into a new is, the loss of the audience, its not just the couple that is captured but that moment as well.

Nevertheless its a saddening situation, I'm all new to the photography end of what do do,up to this point I have always worked with finished stills short of what I needed to do with them, as part of the propping for video. I just bought my first decent camera and,
I learned real fast, its more than point and shooting its a fine art and science.
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:16 PM   #33
conor

Well, you guys came to the same conclusion that I did... not much can be done with these without reshooting or massive amounts of time...

how, how do i break the news?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:53 PM   #34

Man, this is just sad. On another forum, I'm constantly amazed at the people posting the most basic questions ('what does the f number do?') because 'they have a wedding to shoot this weekend'. Sometimes they get some stern advice, especially about their legal liabilities. Looks like your friend's 'photographer' didn't heed that advice.

Man, it's amazing (and sad) the number of people who think that since they bought a big black camera, they're now a professional.

Personally, I'd tell your friend to (1) withhold any payment, and (2) take the money and hire a true professional to shoot a few good shots. Unfortunately, the moment is gone, to be remembered in blurry, overexposed jpegs.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Well, you guys came to the same conclusion that I did... not much can be done with these without reshooting or massive amounts of time...

how, how do i break the news?

Let them see this forum?

Actually both a question and a statement.

IF I was you, I would tell them "this is not what you want to hear".

Show them the results for a single photo. Let them know this level of improvement was more than x # of hours of work and consulting with others, and, in your opinion, spending additional time on the specific photo is doubtful to result in an substantial improvements.

You have shown the work to a mix of other working photographers. Their efforts to repair the photo has not resulted in any substantial improvements and in their opinion the best results might actually be obtained if the wedding photos were re-taken.

If they want to attempt their photo-editing of the photos you will be happy to introduce them to a basic photo editing software program and provide them some basic instructions.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
Man, it's amazing (and sad) the number of people who think that since they bought a big black camera, they're now a professional.
Way back when, I overhead a sales person describe the camera with the black trim as the professional model while the silver trimmed camera was the hobby model.

Yes, it was the same camera.