Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:06 PM   #1
conor

Default Wedding photos

A coworker of mine got married and hired a photographer - he provided the unedited jpegs... my coworker asked me to give her some hints on editing and sent me one photo (that I cannot post as I don't have permission)...

Here's the interesting part:

Make - NIKON CORPORATION
Model - NIKON D3
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
DateTime - 2009:06:29 12:53:43
ExifOffset - 200
ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 5
ExposureProgram - Manual control
ISOSpeedRatings - 1600
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2009:06:06 12:38:16
DateTimeDigitized - 2009:06:06 12:38:16
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/60 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.33
MaxApertureValue - F 2.83
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 62.00 mm

SubsecTimeOriginal - 74
SubsecTimeDigitized - 74
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Manual
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 62 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - High gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Unknown

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 796
JpegIFByteCount - 16705

The shot in question is landscape orientation, of a groomsman and bridesmaid walking down the aisle. Though he attempted to get full body shots, he cut off one of each of their feet. The background (far end of the church) has blown highlights (which tells me its overexposed) There is almost NO detail in the couple walking, eyebrows are almost blurry (which tells me its out of focus).

The way I see it, he shot full manual in the church when everyone was walking down the aisle, set aperture to what I'd expect, but shutter speeds too slow, ISO too high... almost as if he didn't expect the flash to fire, but it did. The overexposure destroyed the background, the flash blew out the faces.

My attempt was: noise ninja to correct the iso noise, unsharp mask to attempt to clear up the out of focus, selecting background to drop contrast and brightness and add lens blur to attempt to make it more blurry than the foreground hoping to distract from the poor foreground focus. selecting the foreground to drop contrast slightly less without touching the brightness... crop the audience out of the sides of the image to make it a portrait oriented shot and clone out the extra elbows, feet, etc that were sticking into the edge of the image...

Why would a so called professional make these mistakes? according to my coworker, a great number of the shots are like this (or worse)...

Anyone have any thoughts? similar experiences? suggestions on how to clean these problems up?
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:34 PM   #2

number 1 rule with hiring a tog to shoot a wedding is to make sure u get a good look at his work and also contact a few of his previous couples to ask them what they thought, if he is reluctant to provide stuff like that.......walk away and find one who will

from what u describe the pics sound like they are useless, am wondering why he didnt shoot in raw, as its the safest way with things like a wedding

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:41 PM   #3
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimator View Post
number 1 rule with hiring a tog to shoot a wedding is to make sure u get a good look at his work and also contact a few of his previous couples to ask them what they thought, if he is reluctant to provide stuff like that.......walk away and find one who will

from what u describe the pics sound like they are useless, am wondering why he didnt shoot in raw, as its the safest way with things like a wedding

Gary
he may have, that exif says "Adobe Lightroom" - perhaps he used that to do the conversion?

the other point is that even RAW wouldn't have saved poor focus and poor framing...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:36 PM   #4
Super Moderator

It could just be that he included some bad photos, I always take out those that don't work.

ISO 1600 is not too height on a D3 in church I often work at that sort of level. As for the shutter speed I would usually boost this as they walk down the isle and shoot with flash but quite often for other non flash shots in the church I'm at around this speed.

Poor framing, well just crop to 3/4 length and you are sorted.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:40 PM   #5
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It could just be that he included some bad photos, I always take out those that don't work.

ISO 1600 is not too height on a D3 in church I often work at that sort of level. As for the shutter speed I would usually boost this as they walk down the isle and shoot with flash but quite often for other non flash shots in the church I'm at around this speed.

Poor framing, well just crop to 3/4 length and you are sorted.
I've got permission to post one - she's going to send me one tomorrow morning.

once you see how poorly focused these shots are, you'll get why i'm so frustrated...
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I missed the line that said "Why would a so called professional make these mistakes? according to my coworker, a great number of the shots are like this (or worse)..." so no there shouldn't be lots of shots like this if he knows what he is doing.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:41 PM   #7

Expensive gear and photo editing software does not make a professional photographer.

That statement should become the motto of every photographer around the world.... it might sink in to the amateurs.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:11 AM   #8
conor

Ok, here's one that she said is 'typical'. I haven't done anything to it, sorry about the large filesize. If anyone wants a resized version, I can post that too.

http://www.burningdeep.com/~phreak/d...82NTP_5729.jpg
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:04 PM   #9

That picture is sad.

I bet the people in the audience with the P&S cameras took as good or better photos.

Why are these photos by a professional photographer this poor?

Because, as I said before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieDgpt View Post
Expensive gear and photo editing software does not make a professional photographer.
Most likely the amateur photographer claiming to be a professional had never perviously shot a wedding, did not plan the shooting and had limited practical experience with his/her expensive gear. I am willing to be bet the photographer did not even shoot the dress rehersal so he could check the lighting, flow of action, ease of focusing etc prior to shooting the real thing.

I am a complete amateur with photoediting software. Just playing around with the pic I could not achieve anything attractive because even cropping that photo into something semi-attractive is beyond my skills.

IF all the pictures are this way, I do not envy the task ahead of you. In fact, if all the pictures are this way, I would only agree to do just a few key photos and tell the Bride to trash the rest.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:39 AM   #10
conor

this was my best effort, and like you, i'm definitely still an amateur with PhotoShop: