Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:26 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kex
A black background is a good idea, I guess! Thanks.
But what's the association between a graphic of a man and a woman to a website with content conerning digital photography?
I think the women in the graphics somehow makes the site look more erotic looking in nature - - hence, the graphic association with the site name (Digital Pleasure, with the Pleasure part being the graphics of someone looking somewhat erotic, and having a good time).

You could do the same thing (perhaps adding a man to the photo, too -- clothed in a similiar manner, along with the woman -- with both of them looking as if they are having a good time. This would probably keep the female viewers happy, too.

I just think it makes it much more interesting -- it sort of takes the place of a logo (people would think digital pleasure when seeing the graphics -- much more memorable than a typical logo design).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:29 PM   #12
kex

I guess, your idea is really good.
I think I'll give it a try the next days.
Just need to find the right brushes for the man and the woman.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:36 PM   #13

Kex, one of the problems is always that no two people have exactly the same taste, and that's what you're seeing here with just a few responses. What you might want to focus on is, first, the purpose of the site and, then, its content. If you have a very serious site, you don't want to go with strongly contrasting colors which often convey strong emotion of one kind or another. If you have a light-hearted site, you might want to go with soft, contrasting colors. Lots of really strong colors and contrast always insult the eyes.

My personal taste is for photos to be displayed either on black or on white, but like I indicated above, we're looking at differences in taste only.

Whatever you do, don't make your Web design outshine its content. :shock:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:37 PM   #14
Administrator

How about both of them holding cameras, and point them at each other?

Not too erotic, and more tasteful (and photography related) than just the plain graphics -- yet still something that would be more memorable than a simple logo.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:09 AM   #15

One of my main problems when designing a site is never getting to finish the content. Sometimes, I would finish the design and never get the content figured out.

I think it's a nasty habit, and I want to get rid of it.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:26 AM   #16
kex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkThrone
One of my main problems when designing a site is never getting to finish the content. Sometimes, I would finish the design and never get the content figured out.

I think it's a nasty habit, and I want to get rid of it.
It's quite the same with me!
But I don't even finish both: content and design, as you can see.
That's why I want to do a final design now and build up the content afterwards.

EDIT: By the way: Does anyone know where to get a picture or brush from a man and / or a woman with a photo camera in his/her hand?
Old Nov 10, 2003, 10:36 AM   #17

Kex

You are quite right on that one! Although in my case, it's not the case of finishing a design, but the process of tweaking it, sometimes changing a little bit, a color or a rounded square, ends up in the whole design being overhauled!

Before I realize it, what I have now after 4 hours of fiddling around, was nothing compared to what I had three hours ago, andbefore I had 3 designs to choose from, now I have more than a handful!

Arggh!
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 1:39 PM   #18

I just tripped into a fine Web site that goes into both technical and aesthetic issues of site design, and since that's essentually what this thread is about, I thought I'd post it here:

http://www.wpdfd.com/wpdintro.htm
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:28 AM   #19
kex

Hi,
it's me again.
What do you think about the design now?
I found a nice picture of a photographer, turned the colours into b/w and added some sample conent to get an idea of what it looks like lateron.

Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:21 AM   #20

Hey Kex...I am late replying on this but am a woman so will give you my opinion. Of the first ones you posted, I LOVED the second one the best...

But, the last one you posted with the black and white is the best by far, in my opinion. Very nice! Good luck...

Toria
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote