Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 9, 2003, 8:43 AM   #1
kex

Default Question on website design

Hi folks.
I'm planing to make a new design for my website, but I can't really decide.
I started different designs but didn't finish them, because I was unsatisfied.
So I'd like to know which design or style you like most, because the visitors, of course have to like it, too.
Here are some screenshots for you. On most of them, the menu is missing and you can only see the banner and the basic colors, but I hope you all can help me and find your favorite or at least a style.

kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:01 AM   #2
Administrator

I really like the second one -- the graphics give meaning to the site name.

However, female viewers may not appreciate it. :twisted:

Perhaps some of the female forum viewers will respond with their thoughts, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 9:39 AM   #3

It's a balance between the second and third...the second one has too much going on, can't read half of the writing...the third one is the opposite extreme, nice lines but it reminds me of a site for cellphone PDAs. The first and fourth remind me too much of millatary colours.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:43 AM   #4
kex

thanks for your opinions!
You're right, Mike.
The first and third one looks military.

But I liked the last one somehow and modified it.
What do you think?

or in blue:

Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:49 AM   #5

My first thought, "Where's my sunglasses?" ;-)

If you're going to use it for posting pictures, it's got to be colours that don't take away from the pictures themselves. Also, if you want people to stay awhile it's got to be colours that are easy on the eyes. My favorite combination for long time viewing is black/white/gray/yellow...where have I seen that before? ;-)

Additional, some of your text is "blown out" due to the white background.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 11:57 AM   #6
kex

Oh yes! You're right. I didn't think about that. It's can cause eye cancer I guess

But what about this one:

Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:03 PM   #7
Administrator

How about a black background (instead of the white background) -- sort of like http://www.dpreview.com ?

Then, add some of the slick graphics, like the woman (and maybe a man too -- to keep the female viewers happy), like you had in the second sample in your original post --- perhaps not quite as busy with the text.

I think the graphics give the site name more meaning (as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words). I think some kind of graphics (or logo with graphics) is needed to keep it from looking too much like everybody elses site.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:06 PM   #8

If I could add one more tip, make the categories (Closeup, Nature, People, etc.) outlined in black, so the text is more readable...as I mentioned above, some of the text fades into the background where it gets lighter which makes it difficult to read.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:06 PM   #9
kex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
How about a black background (instead of the white background) -- sort of like http://www.dpreview.com ?

Then, add some of the slick graphics, like the woman (and maybe a man too -- to keep the female viewers happy), like you had in the second sample in your original post --- perhaps not quite as busy with the text.

I think the graphics give the site name more meaning (as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words). I think some kind of graphics (or logo with graphics) is needed to keep it from looking too much like everybody elses site.
A black background is a good idea, I guess! Thanks.
But what's the association between a graphic of a man and a woman to a website with content conerning digital photography?

What do you think about my last post; maybe in black/grey?
Old Nov 9, 2003, 12:08 PM   #10
kex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
If I could add one more tip, make the categories (Closeup, Nature, People, etc.) outlined in black, so the text is more readable...as I mentioned above, some of the text fades into the background where it gets lighter which makes it difficult to read.
thanks.
I'm planing to write the text as a text, not as a graphic into the tables afterwards.
Is there a way to make the normal text drop a small shadow or something which will seperate the text from the background?
I think I've seen that before somewhere...

EDIT: Concerning the logo:
I got one. But don't know how to add it to the site, or do you think I should keep it more simple, using the one logo?

EDIT2: D'oh!
I just see, that the logo from dpreview is quite similar to mine. (Concerning the idea). But I've created mine some time ago. So don't think I've copied it