Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2009, 2:20 AM   #1

Default Aiptek - lost video or not?

Hi,
I ran into a strange problem with my Aiptek ADH Z700 yesterday. It has been working perfect for months and I am really impressed with this little camera.
Yesterday I shot a video and som photos that I can view on the camera but I can't find them on my SD card nor the internal memory if I connect the cam to my computer via USB.

The videos and photos I shot some days ago is visible via USB but not the stuff I shot yesterday. I am really confused here.
Znabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2009, 4:36 AM   #2
Administrator

I think your camera has a small amount of internal memory. So, you may want to make sure it's set to use the optional SD Card instead (you've probably got a menu choice somewhere in your camera's setup menus that allow you to select either Internal Memory or SD Card).

If you want to try recovering any images on the card, I'd suggest that you download and install this software for the operating system you're using (Windows, Mac, Linux). It's free. You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the main page. Then, just click on the desired operating system to download it.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Use a card reader and select your memory card from the list of media it finds (hard drives, memory cards, etc.), and give it a place to save the photos to on your hard disk when you are asked Where to Save Recovered Files (it defaults to saving recovered files in subfolders under Photorec, where the software is installed on your hard drive, but you can change it to something else if desired).

Note that this product does not retain the original file names (but, you may not care about that), since it ignores the file allocation table entirely.

Don't worry about changing any of the other options. Just leave everything else at the defaults (Partition type, file types to recover, etc.) and it will try to recover any files that haven't been overwritten yet (and don't try to do anything like take more photos or you may overwrite some of them).

Here's a page showing you how to use this software:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

After you recover your images (and make sure you can see the larger images, not just the thumbnails), I'd make sure you format the card again before using it using your camera's menu choice for format.

I do that every time I reuse a card (format it again using the camera's menu choice for format versus a PC). That way, the card always starts out with a fresh FAT (File Allocation Table), just the way the camera expects it, since the camera is performing the format.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:47 PM   #3

the Aiptek Action HD GVS / Z700 and MOST aipteks do not have a electronic switch for memory.
Only if a sd card is not inserted it will be Internal?

The z700 / GVS has around 90mb and can be updated for a little more, the older model only had a few meg offering4 secs of video, when firmware loaded they corrected their issue.

60 secs of video you'll have of internal if with pics LESS, cam will show memory full.
Only cams that may have a switch would be the HD1, and HSHD due to a 1-2 gig of memory

I wonder if you filled up the internal, or formatted the cam.

if you claim you shotwith thesd card and the sd card does not show, follow the Above posters recommendation (jim c )

This is the first I heard of this.

the int cannot be recovered,

after all is corrected.

I recommend you format sdhc card via pc reader, then format in cam int, and ext. that may clear up the troubled sdhc card if it is.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:46 AM   #4

JimC's program recommendation helped me to save som of the important photos so a BIG thank you.

But I still have one video on the external SD-card that I can view on the cam and connect the cam to my TV and watch it there. But when I connect the cam via USB or put the SD card in my card reader it is empty. Really frustrating.

From now on I will format the SD card every time I have copied the videos and photos to my computer.

/Ronny

Last edited by Znabb; Aug 24, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
Znabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:01 PM   #5
Administrator

Try the latest beta version of photorec and see if it can recover them. If not, send a sample file to the author and see if he will add it to photorec.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:18 AM   #6

the sd card you're using may not becaptable.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote