Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:14 AM   #11

What is sad is that it is a Federal Holiday in the U.S. and many employers (including mine) do not close on Veterans Day. I myself am not a Vet, but I have friends that are (Gulf War I). The town I live in had cerimonies yesterday which I would have gladly attended if I had the day off. I also may have gone down to Arlington National Cemetary and the Tomb of the Unknowns.

My children are young (2 yrs and the other is 6 months), but when they are older I would like to teach them the true meaning of the holiday and not that it's a day off to go to the mall and find some sales.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:56 AM   #12

It used to be a school holiday in my neck of the woods, but school officials figured just that, kids would go to the malls instead. Now it's no longer a holiday but students are required to take part in official school ceremonies.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:00 AM   #13

When I saw the first post I wondered what kind of response it would receive. How wonderful all of you appreciate what the military personell do for us, putting their lives on the line to keep our freedom.
I am not a vet either, but I certainly appreciate all that they do.

Bruce
bsdunek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2003, 2:26 PM   #14

I prefer the term or "Rememberance Day" to "Veteran's Day" so not just the military personal is remembered, but all the innocents that lost their lives as well, on both sides. After all, most of the people we (the allies) have been at war with are now our friends, and they shouldn't be forgotten either.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote