Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:17 AM   #1

Default Wedding photography / JPEG or RAW

G'day all,

I am looking at moving into the world of wedding photography. I am still very new to the world of "advanced photography" and up to this point have still not shot my first wedding. I continue to build up my kit and am having a lot of fun honing my PP skills.

I have hit a hurdle. Should I shoot JPEG or RAW or both? After a google search and a lot of reading I have come to the decision that I am not really sure. I have heard arguments from both camps of which both made sense to me but am keen to hear what the good people of this forum think with regard to this subject, particularly any who PP using Aperture2.

Tks,

Ryno
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:15 AM   #2

Shooting weddings a big topic here. Most of the discussion centers around people who want to weddings asking for shot ideas etc who have never shot a wedding before. Most of these people are unexperienced when it comes to doing a wedding and wedding photography is one of the hardest events to photograph out there. You need to really build up your experience first before you start to do weddings. Work as an assistant, shoot family weddings or shoot as a second photographer at friends weddings for a while first.

As for the jpeg or raw the debate will always be there. I shoot joegs because of the faster turn around time I get after shooting a large event with 100s and maybe even a 1000 images. One thing you can do if your camera allows to shoot jpeg+Raw. Review the jpeg images on the computer an then the ones you wan to save go ahead and process the raw files. I have never had the time to play around with RAW images as I shoot way too much..........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:49 AM   #3

Ryno,

I'm a big proponent of jpeg. I shoot the majority of my shots with jpeg. But if I'm doing flash work and especially a wedding, I absolutely shoot RAW. It's SO, SO, SO much easier to correct flash & exposure issues as well as missed white balance. Wedding work must be about quality. And you don't have a lot of time so RAW is a lifesaver for correcting photographer error.

Now, when I do my non-flash work, and especially my sports work I shoot jpeg as I haven't seen RAW provide me much tangible benefit. But every time I throw the flash on, I shoot RAW now so I can fix those slight exposure and WB issues.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:34 AM   #4

Default Thank you

Dave & John,

Thank you for your advice/opinions. I do realise how much work it takes to shoot a good wedding and will certainly not be into my first half cocked. The guy who shot my wedding has become a friend of ours and has mentioned that he would be happy to take me on as an assistant at a wedding one day to get some experience.

With regard to the JPEG/RAW issue, my camera shoots both so I think I'll continue to shoot both at least until I know a little bit more about what is involved processing/storage wise.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Ryno
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:41 AM   #5

I think you have to choose .jpeg mode for Wedding Photography. Raw is nice mode but i know if you capturing pics on high mode then you can not get clarity. I am not a photographer u decide which one is better.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:49 AM   #6
Administrator

Ryno:

If your camera supports raw and the performance penatly is not too great (i.e., it's internal buffer is large enough, and it's write speed to the memory card is fast enough so that you don't miss shots waiting for the camera), I'd use it.

There are far too many things that can go wrong with exposure, white balance and more, and raw can help to salvage photos that may have been ruined shooting jpeg.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:20 AM   #7
Super Moderator

When I first started shooting weddings I used RAW and jpg for everything as this is what the Pro I shot with did, then I only used it for the B&G shots and now don't use it at all so shoot everything in jpg, only once every have I gone to a RAW photo of a wedding to solve a problem.

Starting out use the safety net of RAW to be on the safe side.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:02 AM   #8

Anytime you've only got one chance to get it right, shoot RAW.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:00 PM   #9

ive never shot a wedding, but if i did id deffinatly shoot jpg+raw
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Anytime you've only got one chance to get it right, shoot RAW.
I have never worked with RAW images, so this is pure ignorance speaking. I would imagine that one downside of doing everything in RAW mode is that you might have difficulty getting consistent color balance across the set of images if you're hand-tweaking each one. Is that a problem, or do you both get the freedom to tweak and it makes no difference in actual color balance? Or is this a mater that separates the men from the boys, so to speak and a good photog gets the balance uniform while a newbie makes the wedding party pale as death in one photo and deeply tanned in the next?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote