Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:11 PM   #1
hst

Default Looking for a Digital Camera manufacture with good support

I have had a bunch of issues with trying to get Minolta to provide support for the new Dimage 7i I bought a few months ago. I just sent it off for the third time because it came back unfixed each of the previous times. I am now faced with having to go out and buy a different camera while I wait for the other one to get back to me.

I really need some good input on possitive support issues from manufactures. I need a 4-5MP that also has good macro capabilities. I would greatly appreciate anyone that can share their positive support examples from companies other than Minolta.

Thank!
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2003, 10:00 PM   #2

I have always had very good support from Olympus. I am sure that their will be those who can tell horry stories with Olympus support. I am also sure that many can tell of great support from Minolta. I just bought a Nikon 5700 and did extensive research on the camera. I have read forums here and other sites where Nikon provided good and bad support. I alos read about the ability of the camera and decided that is the camera I wanted. I hope that I never need to contact Nikon support.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:26 AM   #3
Administrator

Check out the November 2003 issue of Consumer Reports. It ranked them based on over 107,000 responses, based on percentage of repair problems that were not fixed.

Roughly (it was a graph), here's how they are ranked. Sony was the best (around 2.5% of problems) based on user responses. JVC was the worst (around 8% of problems):

1. Sony
2. Canon
3. Olympus
4. Panasonic
5. Fuji/Fujifilm
6. Casio
7. HP
8. Kodak
9. Nikon
10. Toshiba
11. JVC

Apparently, Minolta wasn't included.

Did you document what problems you were having?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:43 AM   #4

precisely what was the matter with your 7i?

i'm one of the few that have had each one in the series and all of my old ones are in other peoples hands and working just fine. i have had to return 2 of them. one for the rubber evepiece replacement and the other for a crack in the strobe. both were returned to me in under 1 week. operationally they have been outstanding.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:51 AM   #5

unfortunately you have to look at graphs and statistics in many ways. was there an equal distribution across all those manufacturers. and for what models. the more models statistically you will have greater issues. some may have been more problematic then others. other factors too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 9:50 PM   #6
hst

Default Thanks for the input

Thank you all for the input. I'm not trying to bash Minolta and I know that have been going through a merger. I'm just getting over 6 months of support frustration. I've only used the camera for a few weeks out of the 6 months. I am an amatuer photographer so I really don't take advantage of the vast feature set but the camera didn't consistantly produce good images. About 60% clear and 40% of the images were out of focus in the auto modes. I missed a bunch of great photos because of out of focus or blurry images. I have a old 2MP Kodak that produced clearer images on 8x10 photos. I had hoped to print some good 13x19 with the additional MegaPix. Good news today however. A real live person actually called and they have offered a solution that they say will resolve the issues I am having (the 7HI). Well see! At least someone took the time to finally call me when they received the camera at their desk.

I'll be keeping an eye out on the 750UZ and the Sony 828 in case this doen't work out
Thanks!
hst is offline   Reply With Quote