Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:29 AM   #1

Default shoot portrait

i'm a newbie wanna have a ask,my question is wanna shoot portrait (indoor/outdoor) what the setting i should used?
shulter speed=?
apeture=?
iso=?
w/b=?
metering=?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:54 AM   #2

Michael,
There is absolutely no single answer to that question. The answers go to the heart of photography and what the different variables control.

For example, let's take Aperture. Aperture, along with lens focal length will control the depth-of-field in the photo. Assume you want to take a head-and-shoulders shot of someone. If we leave the focal length of the lens constant (and thus your distance to subject constant so the head and shoulders are what is in the frame at that focal length), you can change the aperture to allow more or less of the subject and background to be in focus (depth-of-field). A wider aperture (lower f-number) and the less that will be in focus. A narrower aperture, the more will be in focus.

HOw much of a difference changing the aperture makes depends on the sensor size of the camera and the physical focal length being used. If you're using a full frame DSLR and 200mm lens you'll notice a fairly big difference as you go from F2.8 to f16. If your using a digicam with small sensor at 200mm equivelent you're not going to notice a big difference - even at f2.8 there will be a lot of DOF.

Very often depth of field is the first decision in the exposure chain - i.e. you decide how much you want in or out of focus and then set ISO and shutter speed to get a proper exposure.

Also, lighting is critical in portraits. Flash is extremely beneficial in many portrait situations - indoors because there is often a lack of quality light and even outdoors to provide "fill" where the flash fills in shadows.

Here are several different shots of mine. All had completely different settings (different ISO, different aperture, different focal length, different use of flash or no flash) because the shots required completely different settings:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:04 AM   #3

John is right. There is no magic bullet. There are some generalities, but in reality, you need to get a better understanding of photography basics to achieve the results you desire. Although modern cameras do a lot for us, it's impossible to dial in one specific setting to get perfect results all the time.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:23 AM   #4

thanx john and rjseeney
now only i remember back a photographer is shooting with their mood...
the setting need take time to learn....thax both of you.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:55 AM   #5

Hi Micheal...welcome back...I am playing with the a230 too...

A good place to start (I think) is to use the portrait mode in the camera. See what settings its used and then go to manual and use those settings and adjust from there.

That way you start with a base point that 'someone' thought was good portrait settings..

That my 2 cents worth...
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 1:26 AM   #6

hi..littlejohn...how are u?
you also playing a230..good..your a230 full charge can shoot how many photo?

oh..can also..but when shoot in night will have some blur....
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellee2222 View Post
hi..littlejohn...how are u?
you also playing a230..good..your a230 full charge can shoot how many photo?
I am not sure..lots I think. It would depend on how much you view the pics. Or use the flash etc. I think the amount of power to take the pictures is comparatively small. Its the viewing etc.

Quote:
oh..can also..but when shoot in night will have some blur....
LOL...not sure what you say... But shooting at night needs a tripod because your shutter speeds are s-l-o-w- and they have to be to get enough light on the sensor. You can increase the ISO but the higher you go the more 'noise' graininess you'll see in the photo...like everything else...you need to play with it and find out what works best.

I like night shots...moon shots...so later I try a few and post them here...
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
I am not sure..lots I think. It would depend on how much you view the pics. Or use the flash etc. I think the amount of power to take the pictures is comparatively small. Its the viewing etc.

LOL...not sure what you say... But shooting at night needs a tripod because your shutter speeds are s-l-o-w- and they have to be to get enough light on the sensor. You can increase the ISO but the higher you go the more 'noise' graininess you'll see in the photo...like everything else...you need to play with it and find out what works best.

I like night shots...moon shots...so later I try a few and post them here...
so for you when charge at 1st time have charge for 8hr?
i less viewing photo on my camera..it shoot around 400+ only..w/o flash..
i means when shooting at night is very hard to catch,next time try using tripod..so now learning thost setting...about apeture,shulter speed...so waiting your post
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:02 AM   #9

Quote:
so for you when charge at 1st time have charge for 8hr?
i less viewing photo on my camera..it shoot around 400+ only..w/o flash..
i means when shooting at night is very hard to catch,next time try using tripod..so now learning thost setting...about apeture,shulter speed...so waiting your post

This weekend I shot over 500..and still had about 25% battery left...but to me THAT's a lot of pixs...(short for pictures)

I will say...I am not too happy with the pixs tho....even in good lite too many not clear even on auto..I will post in another thread for comments...