Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:58 PM   #1

Default cpl or uv filter

I'm shooting photos at our high school home coming parade today.

It is a very overcast day today. I'm shooting with a 70-200 f2.8 canon lens.

Should I use a UV filter or a Circular Polarizing Filter under these conditions?

Thanks;

FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2009, 2:30 PM   #2

UV won't do anything. The CP may or may not depending on the sky at the time. The nice thing is you can tell just by putting it up to your eye and looking thru while you rotate it. So bring it with you and do that little test - if you're getting a benefit from it then put it on the lens. If your eye doesn't see any benefit (bluer sky, more contrast in clouds) then don't bother - it will reduce light input to your camera by 1-2 stops and you don't want to incur that penalty if you're not getting a benefit.

If you don't use the CP make sure to use the lens hood though to reduce flare and help protect the front lens element. The hood is too deep to use with a CP though - you won't be able to rotate it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 9:55 PM   #3

Speaking of filters....what filter would you recommend to keep on a camera to protect the lens?

many many many years ago..I was told to put on a UV filter, which would protect and produce clearer pictures by reducing haze...'

(But now my memory could be a little hazy too,,,)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:02 AM   #4

i allways keep a UV filter on my lenses for nothing other than to protect the expensive glass, also i try to buy the best i can reasonably afford, i dont see the point spending 400+ on lens then putting a cheap filter on it.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 8:41 AM   #5

Today's lenses already have coatings to reduce flare. UV filter no longer provides that benefit. As for protection, that topic comes up continuously. Some people use a UV to protect their lenses and some do not. I used to, but am now in the camp of not using them. Anything you put between the image sensor and the subject has the potential to degrade IQ. Whether it does or not is debatable. I'm happy with using lens hoods alone to protect my lenses. I agree with Kazuya though - if you are going to do it, use high quality. If you have an ultra-wide lens you need a thin filter to boot. I suggest Hoya or B+W but expect to pay about $50-100 for each filter.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:52 AM   #6

What are the advantages of a lens hood??
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:03 AM   #7

Lens hood helps prevent flare by blocking light from an angle. It also offers protection from dust/debris and physical contact
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8

Use the UV filter for shooting a parade, the filter won't do much for correcting color (UV usefulness is a whole other subject) but does offer some good projection to the lens. As there will be lots of people and other things going on on making it harder to protect your lens. As you can tell I'm from the school of "I use filters" but that my choice. The CPL works best with reflected glare and bright washed out skies. A bit like people wearing sunglasses, they tend to help the most on sunny days looking at light off a pond or chrome bumper of a 57 Ford. If you have time at the parade take some shots with each filter and no filter and see what you think about each one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:27 PM   #9

Default shots from a hometown parade

Well, the parade came and went and good time was had by all.

I shot from atop a ladder. Used a 70-200 lens. Tried to capture the joy of the folks on the floats.

It was tough to get shots without extra limbs, cut off hands, messy backgrounds etc. But still managed to get a shot here and there that weren't too bad.

C & C

Faithfully Yours.
FP
Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:28 PM   #10

Default First set

five photos
Attached Images