Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:36 PM   #11

Gwen

You can go to this link and then click on the G2 link. There will be instructions on how to do the firmware update on the G2.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/.../firmware.html
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 5:29 PM   #12

Default Re: Dang Gwen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalypso
You want to get the latest firmware upgrade for any hardware you have. It will include all former patches & such in it. ....
Hm, upgrading comes with a risk. Once and a while doing so should be ok unless...Hear my story; I once bought a computer in 1998. Somewere in 2002 I had some trouble with new added harddisk, size was to big for a old machine. A new cmos upgrades/ firmware should fix that problem. As I hardly put that computer into this eprom reburn routine(running firmware) it should be no problem...Wrong, the machine rendered ussless in de upgrade process. Helpdesk friendly explained to me that it is not just the amount of firmware upgrades you run but also the age of the eprom that is reburned. A 2 year old eprom should be handled with care.

Knowing this now, I upgrade as much as I can in the first year and a half of product, after a year I think twice. With computers one can replace the eprom, but I seriously doubt such is also possible with cameras. On the other hand cameras are less frequently used than computers, the wear of eprom should be equal less.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:35 PM   #13

Gwen

The G2 was only released about 18 months ago. Contact Canon and ask them what would happen if you do the firmware upgrade and something goes wrong. You can also check the firmware on the camera and it may not need upgrading.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:34 PM   #14

After going to the link in your earlier post, I decided that I wouldn't need the firmware for this camera. That was a very helpful link, btw.

Thanks.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:46 PM   #15
Administrator

IMO, Camera Manufacturers that do offer firmware upgrades, often fix problems and make improvements, that are not obvious from reading the firmware description.

Sometimes, they don't want to advertise the problems that were fixed.

Interestingly, I just updated the firmware on an old Nikon 950 recently. I got tired of the photo numbering starting back at 0001, each time I used the camera, with other numbering and image processing "quirks", too.

I ran it with Firmware Version 1.00 for a LONG time. But, I finally "broke down" and upgraded it to Version 1.03

This is an old camera, and I had no problems with the upgrade.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:25 PM   #16

i have done many upgrades for many people and haven't had a failure yet. 90% of flash failures are due to user intervention. the other 10% are bad bios chips. as to the lifespan of a eeprom for flashes its not 5 or 10 it a number considerably higher then that. i've flashed my newest motherboard 4 times since it came out this year in June. it even has a dual bios setup just in case. watch what people say to keep the responsibility away from them it can be smoke.

when doing a bios up grade the primary issues are
1- a consistant quality power source
2- do not disturb the process.

if you fullfill those 2 items there will be no problem unless the firmware is currupt from the download. even then a CRC check is generally done after decompression and installation.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 7:49 PM   #17

talking about firmware, any of you guys try and edit yours or find custom ones?
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:04 PM   #18

firmware is fairly function specific for the camera type. mess with it and you can have a irreversible doorstop. there is a allowance for feature additions but again within a range.

you of course could always try on yours and let us know.

personally i'd rather have a fully operational camera and take pictures.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:52 PM   #19
hst

Default Be cautious with firmware updates

Its a good idea to carefully read what the firware update is for. Sometime its for things that won't matter to you such as support for a different type of memory card etc. If you are experiencing the problems the firmware upgrade is suppose to address, you could try it. If you don't have the issues and are happy with how your camera is working, don't do the upgrade. One firmware fix may create other problems with the camera. Also be very careful to follow the exact instruction for the upgrade and be sure you have a good set of batteries in the camera. If you loose power during the upgrade, you could be stuck with a dead camera that will have to go back to the factory for repairs.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:41 AM   #20

Imagine running your firmware 'upgrade' downloaded from somewhere on the net - and your camera's default language changes to Japanese, or even worse a Japanese technical check menu! Try finding the default language setup page to get that one right! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote