Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:21 AM   #1

Default Firmware

Can someone explain firmware to me.

Thanks!
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:35 AM   #2

Default It is very hard...

(just kidding). Firmware changes the programs in actual hardware in a device. Say you have a camera with the ability to store a buffer of 3 images. A firmware upgrade may allow your camera to now store a buffer of 8 images.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 1:54 AM   #3

So it's sort of an upgrade to the camera? How often do companies put out these firmware upgrades? Do most cameras usually have them or do some never get them?

If I have a camera that has these, how do I go about obtaining them? If there have been several (would that be typical or not?), would I only need the most recent and would I need to get them all?

Thanks,
Gwen
Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:21 AM   #4

Default Dang Gwen...

Yer killin me...(just kidding)!
You want to get the latest firmware upgrade for any hardware you have. It will include all former patches & such in it. Many upgrades like this are for hardware components of a computer system...not Compaq, Gateway to Dell or the other clones (because they want you to buy more computers).
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:25 AM   #5

firmware is the camera operational software. it is electronically "burned" onto a EEPROM (electronically eraseable progammable read only memory) in your camera so that it remains loaded in your camera long after the batteries are dead or out. its the brains of the camera just like Windows is to a PC or Panther is to Mac.

they build it this way today so if an issue is found in it or through the kindness of their heart they want to add a feature you can do it without sending it back to the mfgr.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:41 AM   #6

Hopefully someday I could upgrade the firmware for my Oly C-740UZ so that it could use Photoshop Filters via the xD card. Ehehehe... Alienskin and stuff...
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:17 AM   #7

why would you want to take the chance of ruining a good image in camera. by going outside the camera to PS with your original you can play all you want w/o mucking up the first generation image. playing with the filter types you referred to would require a large screen to actually see and position filtering. you want to try that on the little dinky screen on your camera with its low rez and less then accurate color?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:47 AM   #8

Olympus has not released firmware updates for their cameras. The only way to update the firmware is to send the camera into them for an update.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
why would you want to take the chance of ruining a good image in camera. by going outside the camera to PS with your original you can play all you want w/o mucking up the first generation image.
Of course not everyone inclined into photography would want something like that, but as a concept think about it. You might want to ask yourself why Olympus included settings such as "Black & White", "Sepia", and the seemingly not so useful "White Board" and "Black Board" when you could've done all those in a Photo Editor.

It would be great for those point and shoot cams that don't have much extra settings, and for those who might just find it cool. Yet it shows that it would be useless for people like you.

There's an app for the Nokia 3650 called CameraFX which has functions such as Psychadelic Filter that's somewhat like the "Difference Clouds" filter in Photoshop and other Hue tones you run the image through after taking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
playing with the filter types you referred to would require a large screen to actually see and position filtering. you want to try that on the little dinky screen on your camera with its low rez and less then accurate color?
Some people just might want to do something like it.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:38 AM   #10

So I have a Canon G2 which I'm borrowing from a friend who may be interested in selling it to me. If so, how do I go about acquiring any firmware that has been released?

Is this something you can dl from a website?

Is this something that one would pay for? If so, would it be free if the camera is still under warranty?

If I don't buy this camera from my friend, I'm going to purchase a G3. Since that has been out a while, I would also want to explore whether there was firmware for that one.

AND, since I'm killing ya with all these questions (how are newbies supposed to learn all this anyway?!?!), here is one more:

Why didn't they keep terminology the same when they set about going digital? For instance, grain is now called noise. Updates are now called firmware. All this accomplishes it making it doubly hard for a beginner!

Gwen, frustrated but very glad you people on this forum are so helpful!