Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2003, 2:29 AM   #1

Default wierd glitter in photos

<frustrating sigh> I took a batch of photos tonight with my newly borrowed G2. I've shot several hundred photos with it in the past couple weeks and they're all turned out fine. Now these have wierd shiny glittery highlights on them. It's esp noticeable on the hair. I've posted a couple here. Out of perhaps 15 photos, only a couple do not have it. What is this and how did it happen? (Ignore the awful red eye on the blond boy. This poor kid just cannot take a normal photo without an external flash and I'm not bothering to fix it at the moment as I'm more concerned about the 'glitter.')

Well, shoot, now I can't figure out how to include photos. Maybe you can understand what I mean w/out seeing the photo. Or maybe you can contact me via email and I can send it to you that way.

Help!
Gwen
[email protected][/img]
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 4:13 AM   #2

Default I hate that.........

My kid puts gliter on her skin & in her hair too...quite annoying!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:28 AM   #3

Ooohhhh! :shock: That must be it! I've had a similar problem before! Glitters, in the hair, I should've known it.
DarkThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:32 AM   #4

Nope, that's not it. There is this glitter effect all throughout the photo. It's sort of like where the flash highlighted stuff. It occurred to me as I lay in bed pondering this dilemm and my frustration with it that maybe I had the camera on a wrong setting somehow. I used the portrait setting (on a G2) with a flash. It seems like that should be okay.

Gwen
Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:22 AM   #5

<even more frustrating sigh than the original poster had> When you ask a question like this, post a link to an example or two! Without seeing the problem, it's like saying, "My car is making a funny noise...what's wrong with it?"

We've seen this type of problem before, and it's been diagnosed as dust (or pollen) in the air that is lit up by the flash. Of course it could be small UFOs, dandruff or lice. Again without seeing an example, can't say for sure.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 8:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
... We've seen this type of problem before, and it's been diagnosed as dust (or pollen) in the air that is lit up by the flash. Of course it could be small UFOs, dandruff or lice. ...
From what I have seen on the web, dust or angels/ghosts/... seem to be the most common explainations. Seems the ghost explaination is gaining ground even though you can generate the problem easily by shooting a flash against a dark/distant background right after you have shaken a dusty pillow a foot or so in front of the camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 1:37 PM   #7

Default Re: wierd glitter in photos

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen
Well, shoot, now I can't figure out how to include photos. Maybe you can understand what I mean w/out seeing the photo.
Can you give us an idea of the circumstances around the photos? I had the same issue a few years ago when my children were in gymnastics. I concluded it was due to the rosin they use to help their grip. It was floating all over the gym because everyone was putting it on their hands and then slapping them together to get rid of the excess. My flash was exacerbating the problem by highlighting the dust.
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:31 PM   #8

>><even more frustrating sigh than the original poster had> When you ask a question like this, post a link to an example or two! Without seeing the problem, it's like saying, "My car is making a funny noise...what's wrong with it?" <<

You'll note that that was my intention, but I couldn't figure out how to post photos. If someone would give me some how-to's, that'd be great. I'd love to show these photos to see what you think the problem is.

As far as the situation the photos were taken in - indoors, with a flash, auto setting, Canon G2, in a small room (I was close to the subjects) taking photos of boys holding newborn puppies and of the puppies alone.

In one photo, there is no 'glitter,' but it's apparent in all others. I went back the next day and took some more on different camera settings, but still got the glitter. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but it's a very shiny highlight on the parts of the photo that are the most highlighted by the flash. (Using the camera's flash, not an external.)
Old Nov 18, 2003, 6:27 AM   #9

As the other posters have said, dust although hard to understand, accounts for specles in the shooting area. Without seeing a pic I can't be sure, but I had a lot of this sort of problem with human hair and animal fur. It can be caused by too agressive in-camera sharpening, which converts the fine detail in hair and edges to black and white specles. I'm assuming you haven't added more sharpening afterwards.

If your camera has sharpening options, try setting the sharpening to soft (which means off) on some similar shots and use a small amount of 'unsharp mask' in your editor. That way you have some control afterwards. The other problem you get with inbuilt flash is the light is too focused and intense, which is why you get better pics by using an external flash and bouncing the flash with a tilt head. You could try moving back a bit, with some zoom, or reduce the flash output slightly via the camera menu. The most common problem with in-cam flash is usually skin reflection due to surface oils/ moisture which produces 'hot spots'. This is why models wear heavy make up! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:47 AM   #10

Quote:
I took a batch of photos tonight with my newly borrowed G2
I think you should return this camera immediately and borrow another one.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote