Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:30 PM   #1

Default Why can't we stop bait and switch?

I mean you are one of the first sites that come up in search engines when you look for a camera. Why can't when you search for a camera, the first thing that pops up is a list of known scam sites. 10 seconds donated by everyone who finds one (easily spot able) and we can slash these scammers FAST!!!! It's a market with tons of money and we need to get rid of them! I'm not dumb enough to fall for it, but I know many people who have fell to this bait and switch and everytime I see a new google result, it's frustrating.
hercules71185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:24 AM   #2
Administrator

Realistically, the search engines are going to accept advertising from almost anyone. So, common sense is usually your best bet (if a price looks too good to be true, it probably is).

Stick to reputable vendors, making sure to read what others have to say about any vendor you choose. The forums here are a good place to ask about experiences others have had with a specific vendor.

If you look at the buy boxes in the camera reviews here, you'll also see vendor rankings with Stars, and you can read what users have to say about a given vendor. But, again, let common sense be your best guide (as sometimes, vendors have been known to try and pad their own ratings in price search engines).

This really isn't a topic for "Contact Steves" (i.e., you'd be more likely to get responses and opinions on this problem from other members if we moved the thread to one of the other forums).

So, I'll move this thread down to our General Q&A Forum now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules71185 View Post
I mean you are one of the first sites that come up in search engines when you look for a camera. Why can't when you search for a camera, the first thing that pops up is a list of known scam sites. 10 seconds donated by everyone who finds one (easily spot able) and we can slash these scammers FAST!!!! It's a market with tons of money and we need to get rid of them! I'm not dumb enough to fall for it, but I know many people who have fell to this bait and switch and everytime I see a new google result, it's frustrating.

Because there are more of them than there are of us.

Us, being the group of people that have an interest in being fair, honest and protecting others.

Way too many people are only concerned with themselves.

Others are interesting in helping others... as long as they are helping themselves in the process.

And then there is the group that helpful, but once they got theirs the level of helpfulness disappears.

While I personally would love to get rid of the scammers, I am not about to devote my life's work to the task.

Asking others to do the work gets into some legal and ethical issues.

I don't like brand X. They do a good job from all accounts, but for reasons I am not willing to discuss, I don't like the company. Are they "legit"? Could my dislike of the company cloud by judgement?

What about brand Z? They sell grey market goods. They say so, right there on their website. Because they are on the up-and-up with regards to grey market goods does this make them "legit"? What if they only sold grey market goods?

In generalities, things could get complex real quick. But when we discuss a specific company, things can get even more sensitive.

The best advice is to openly discuss issues, such as grey market goods, so that consumers become are of the issues and can make an informed decision themselves.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote