Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:12 PM   #1

Default Kodak DX4530 5 megapix vs Canon A70 3 megapix?

I was going to buy the Canon A70 3 megapixel for my wife for XMAS for $300 taking advantage of Best Buys no interest for 12 months. I received Walmarts Holiday flyer today in the mail and on the back my jaw hit the ground when I saw the Kodak 5 megapixel for $298.57. It seems like a no brainer but is the Kodak the one to buy? It seems to good to be true.

Anyone know if Best Buy will price match Walmarts ad? They list the Kodak for $350.

Thanks
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 7:36 PM   #2

Best Buy will price match.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:20 PM   #3

With both cameras you have to budget in both a bigger memory card and a battery charger with rechargeable batteries. Use-once batteries will inhibit using the camera freely and too small a card forces you to use lower quality. For $315 and free shipping and no tax you can get a much nicer Minolta G500 that comes with a charger and battery. You still have to by the card, but it would be cheaper than either after sales tax and charger, and is a better camera: http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....&sku=MIDIMG500

The G500 is small and light enough you might be able to get your wife to keep it in her purse so you always have a camera handy. When APS first came out I bought a very pricey little 3X zoom Pentax for my wife with that plan in mind. Wives are about as easy to train as cats and I ended up getting myself a little 35mm and carrying it in a small belt pouch everywhere. The A70 is heavy with 4 NiMH batteries installed. The CF cards for the Canon are cheaper if you look around for rebate deals on Techdeal or Techbargains.

If you need the 12 month interest free go for the Kodak if Best Buy will price match.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:46 AM   #4

Don't just look at MP when it comes to cameras...look at picture quality, features, build quality, lens, zoom, etc. etc. etc.

For 8x10 you only need a minimum of 2mp (3mp will give you a slightly better picture)!!! The only thing 5mp will give you that the 3mp won't is the ability of to print up to a 20"x30" picture (or crop a LOT for an 8x10 picture).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Don't just look at MP when it comes to cameras...look at picture quality, features, build quality, lens, zoom, etc. etc. etc.

For 8x10 you only need a minimum of 2mp (3mp will give you a slightly better picture)!!! The only thing 5mp will give you that the 3mp won't is the ability of to print up to a 20"x30" picture (or crop a LOT for an 8x10 picture).
Well the features of both appear ok to me. Im not a pro. I don't see how I can compare the picture quality without buying both. Whichever I choose is going to be a replacement for a Fuji Finepix 1400 1.3 megapixel. If this helps in you recommendations.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:35 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
For $315 and free shipping and no tax you can get a much nicer Minolta G500 that comes with a charger and battery. You still have to by the card, but it would be cheaper than either after sales tax and charger, and is a better camera: http://www2.buydig.com/shop/product....&sku=MIDIMG500
I highly recommend the G500. I purchased a Japanese Model Konica Revio KD-510z in July (I had one in my hands, two weeks after it started shipping in Japan). They are the same camera, except for the logo and model number (thanks to the Konica-Minolta merger).

I wanted this camera so much, that I was willing to go with a Japanese Model (without a US warranty), since I knew it would be a while before it started shipping in the U.S. Now, you can buy one a bargain prices, and IMO, this camera's image quality equals or exceeds the larger 5MP cameras.

The pocketability factor is also great. It's my 7th Digital Camera, and I like it more than any camera I've owned in the past. It allows me to carry a camera with me everywhere (I carry mine in my front pants pocket), ready to take a photo "on a moments notice".

With larger cameras, I missed many good photo opportunities, because my camera was left at home.

You can see some photos from mine at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

You may also want to read my user review of the camera (you'll see links on my Konica Gallery page), as well as read the comments about it from other users in my Pbase.com forum (you'll see the forum under the photos on the main gallery page).

Good Luck with your decision!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 11:45 AM   #7
Administrator

P.S.

If you need to take advantage of the financing offer, and decide on the Kodak, Dave Etchells (owner/editor of imaging-resource.com) has a very thorough review of this model here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX4530/D453A.HTM

Best Buy wants the full $399.99 for the Minolta G500, but you may be able to get a price match to take advantage of the financing offer (Wal-Mart has it for $365.66, and many online vendors have it for a little over $300.00)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product

Again, good luck with your decision!
Old Nov 16, 2003, 7:01 PM   #8

[quote="JimC"]P.S.

If you need to take advantage of the financing offer, and decide on the Kodak, Dave Etchells (owner/editor of imaging-resource.com) has a very thorough review of this model here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX4530/D453A.HTM

Best Buy wants the full $399.99 for the Minolta G500, but you may be able to get a price match to take advantage of the financing offer (Wal-Mart has it for $365.66, and many online vendors have it for a little over $300.00)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product

I do need the financial deal so I will have to buy whatever I decide on at Best Buy. I went yesterday but didn't buy because it was too crowded. I did look at the Kodak and it did seem kinda cheap. The worst problem being no built in lens cover. Good thing I waited because Best Buy extended their finance deal to 18 months vs 12 so I will look at camera's that cost a little more. Still, I don't really want to spend a fortune on a digital camera.

Which digi camera's did you before the Minolta?

Will BB pricematch if I don't have an ad?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 9:25 PM   #9

Just read the Minolta G500 review. It looks pretty sweet. I also read Steves review of the the Fuji S3800 which also looks nice. Best Buy has the S3000 for $300 this week with free 64 meg card after rebate. Decisions, decisions. To think I wasn't even looking at either of these 2 at the beginning of this thread. I better buy one soon or I'll never make a decision

Which of these 2 would you buy? If Im correct both are better than the Canon A70 and Kodak 4530. No?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:08 AM   #10
Administrator

Hey Sammy:

The 3800 is a relatively dated model. The new Fuji 3000 is it's replacement.

These are 3MP cameras with a 6x Optical Zoom, and can produce very good quality images for a 3MP camera.

On the downside, they are poor performers in low light (EVF and Autofocus).

If you plan on taking most of your photos outdoors, this may not be a problem, and the nice Optical Zoom may come in handy. If taking a lot of photos indoors, or in darker conditions, you may want to consider the autofocus problems.

The Electronic Viewfiner (EVF) can be difficult to see through in lower light conditions also.

Jeff Keller (owner/editor of dcresource.com) reviewed the Fuji 3800.

When he dimmed the lights inside, this camera was unable to focus. You may want to take this into consideration. Here is the review:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...iew/index.html