Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:27 PM   #1

Default Help - best image with base features

I've been searching the forums and couldn't find a thread that hit my specifics, so I'm posting this note.

I'm looking for an ultracompact that has an excellent lense (tranlation, excellent images), is 3M+ for picture size, and does NOT have to have a zoom. I'm really concentrating on the image quality / lense quality based on past experience. I used to have a canon elph (aps camera) that had no zoom. I took it to Europe and took stunning pictures with it and always had it on me. I have a 3x zoom aps camera now and rarely use the zoom.

Therefore, I want to buy the best ultracompact I can and want to be sure that I'm getting the best image quality I can. I'm not listing a price ceiling because I'm not sure I have one. I want something reasonably small that takes great pictures.

Feedback is appreciated! Thanks
oneblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Administrator

I highly recommend the Minolta DiMAGE G500.

This model was released in Japan at the end of June as the Konica Revio KD-510z. I had one in my hands 2 weeks later (I specifically looked for a Japanese model, since I knew it would take a while before it hit the U.S.).

Konica-Minolta decided to release this camera under the Minolta logo as the DiMAGE G500 in the U.S. They are identical except for the logo and model number.

If you check my pbase.com album forum (about the 3rd post down in the forum, under the photos), you'll see my response to someone comparing the Canon S400 with the Minolta G500). I replied with links pointing to comments from two users who've owned both the Canon S400 and the Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500. They both prefer the Konica.

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

See some comments on low light focus here, in a thread titled "Shocking, G500 outperforms the 7i"

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6607017

Here's a user that had a Minolta F300 and dropped it from some bleachers.

He needed a replacement camera, and I suggested he try the new G500 instead, from a vendor with a no restocking fee policy (in case he didn't like it as much). He took me up on my advise.

This is what he said:

"I did what you mentioned. I got the G500 for a couple of days, used it, and loved it. Compared to the F300, it's faster, the photos have a greater range of tones, it's sturdier and easier to use. I've even played with a few of the images with Photoshop Elements, and the enhanced version I create still is outmatched by the original.--which really surprised me. Thanks for the great information, and for leading me to the details on how to customize the menu options.

Ken"

See the posts from user 1574kc in this thread at megapixel.net:

http://www.megapixel.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8536

Check out my pbase.com Konica album and forums, and you'll see links to my user review of the camera, too:

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

BTW, if you use the price search engines, you can find it at around $325.00 now from many online vendors. Also, it's a 5 Megapixel Model, with very good flash range, and has a 3x Optical Zoom Lens (although you say you don't really need one).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the thorough response! I'm researching your note now.

Thanks again
Old Nov 16, 2003, 12:16 AM   #4

One other camera I was considering is the Pentax Optio s4. I'm not sure how good it's image is compared to others.

To be honest, I'm can't seem to get a feel for what cameras take better pictures because of their technology/options (NOT because of higher resolution)... I am hoping this thread will help shed some light on this subject.

For example, Sony had released, last spring I thing, a digital in Europe/Japan that had a Carl Weisse lens. I would have hoped that had an awesum image. Not sure though.

Also, I should have listed the camera's I'm currently considering:

Canon S400
Pentax Optio S4
now - Minolta DiMAGE G500
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:09 AM   #5
Administrator

Out of the 3 cameras on your current list, I think the Canon S400 or the Minolta G500 would both make excellent choices.

Again, see my pbase.com album forum (under the photos on the mai page), for links to comments from two users have owned both the Canon S400 and the Minolta G500 (a.k.a., Konica Revio KD-510z).

The both prefer the Konica (better and faster low light focus, better color accuracy/tone, etc.).

You'll find the links in my Konica Album forum, about the 3rd post down. See http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

As far as the Optio, it uses a smaller, denser sensor (CCD) compared to the Canon S400. It will have more noise, and a weaker flash (rated at auto iso, which increases ISO speed and noise to get it's range), compared to the other choices. There are always tradeoffs with a smaller model, with image quality (due to the smaller, denser sensors being used), usually the "first thing to go".

Canon managed to get a very small camera in the S400, while still using the 4MP Sony 1/1.8" CCD (used in larger 4MP cameras like the Canon G3, Nikon Coolpix 4500, and others).

The Pentax uses a smaller, denser 1/2.5" 4MP CCD (probably made by Panasonic, but I've been unable to verify it for sure).

Out of the 3 choices, the Canon will have the lowest noise (because it uses a CCD that is less dense). The Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) uses a denser 1/1.8" 5MP CCD (more dense than the Canons, but less dense than the Optio).

IMO, the G500 offers the best balance of physical size, useability, flash range, focus speed, image quality, and performance; in the pocketable camera category. Users that have owned both the Canon S400 and Minolta G500 agree.

Here is my response to the user asking for advise between the S400 and G500 (from my pbase.com Konica album forum):

Widi:

I think both are very nice little cameras for the money. Most Canon S400 users seem quite pleased with theirs. I haven't personally used the S400, but I can point you to a couple of users that have owned both cameras. They both prefer the Konica KD-510z (identical to the Minolta DiMAGE G500 -- they just decided to market it under the Minolta logo in the U.S., after the Konica-Minolta merger). See this forum post, and follow the links, and you'll see the comments from two users that have owned both models:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6556520

Good Luck with your decision!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote