Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:46 AM   #1

Default Photo Analysis -- Give it a Try

For some time now Ive been looking at the photo of the day posted here. Usually they are impressive and distinctive for one reason or another, and never boring. At least thats my opinion. What Im proposing is to voice our opinions on the daily pics and analyze why we think it was picked as pic of the day and whether we agree with it or not giving an explanation. Generally any comments at all so each of us can look at it through the eyes of each other. Today it was a simple picture of a squirrel sitting in a birch tree. But the composition, color, bokeh and focus were all spot on. It was a simple pic of a squirrel, but one Id like to look at again. Thats my opinion. Whats yours?

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 11, 2009 at 8:48 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:13 AM   #2

Typically, there might be a place to leave comments associated with a photo. But since there's a different "Photo of the Day" each day, the comments would be short lived. Since Steve's archives the POTD winners on Facebook, perhaps comments on the individual photos could be left there instead.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:45 PM   #3

Im not going to join facebook or twitter to check out anybodies pics. I thought it might be a good idea for people who regularly visit the site to have some input. There are probably a few who dont even know about the POTD. Its a page worth looking at and I look forward to it every day to see whats going to make me drool next. As I said Im usually impressed with the pic. Sometimes Im not and wonder what they were thinking and thats why I wanted to read peoples daily comments on each POTD.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4

Today's pic of two soldiers silhouetted against a firey background. What a shot. I could look at it many times. And get a chill each and every time.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:02 PM   #5

I enjoy the POTD as well, and always go to Steve's main page first, in order to check it, and news items. As to a critique, I think it has been mentioned before, and nothing came of it. I have seen some really great pics, and some which (to my eye) owed a lot more to the person's abiltiy with photo editing than photography. Probably, and this is just my personal opinion, it would seem to open the whole thing up to second guessing on our part, withour us actually knowing the process of picking the photos, or being aware of the numbers of photos in competition.
I'm content to just view and enjoy, and keep my opinions to myself.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:40 PM   #6

Thanks Brian, but my idea was to broaden my outlook on what I see and how I see it. That can be done by looking through the eyes of others. I guess the problem here is someone is actually putting themselves on the line and making a statement which can be used as canon fodder by a select few who just criticise without an opinion of their own. As for me, I dont care and say what I think -- good bad or indifferent.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:38 PM   #7

Well, Bynx, let's give it a try-

Do you want to start the thread or shall I do it. I think it is a great idea and it will drive more traffic to the POTD.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:40 AM   #8

Well Sarah, Ive given my comments regarding the POTD today. Why dont you jump in and tell us what you think. The latest being the two army guys silhouetted by the flaming background. Ah, now todays pic is a Monarch butterfly sitting among some red flowers. The colors are very strong but I like it. The butterfly is very clear sitting in a nice composition. My first look was not one of indifference. And thats what its all about isnt it?

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 13, 2009 at 7:54 AM.