Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:41 PM   #181

Hey whats the score so far? And who's winning?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:47 PM   #182

Well, Chato has conceded that a stranger taking a photo of a young girl could be suspicious. He seems to be reluctant to discuss whether police should be permitted to investigate the situation.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:51 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Hey whats the score so far? And who's winning?
Free and open debate, even when it doesn't change any minds, is in all cases an educational tool. Issues are aired, which many are afraid to discuss for fear of being labeled this, or that.

Searching for truth is always a give and take, and in the course of time, many will stop and examine deeply held, but never analysed beliefs. This is as true for me, as for those who disagree with me.

Certainly, when a debate consists only of hurling insults at one another, no one learns a damn thing, and their beliefs are reinforced by taking a label, and much like taking a photograph, call that "truth."

Dave
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:52 PM   #184

“I'm sorry that you feel that holding a civil conversation is a violation of your rights.”

Why is it, that in all of your hundreds of posts here, every time someone asks you a straight question, you spew nonsense as a reply? Do you think we’ll forget that you evaded the question? I’ll ask another...do you have any children?

“If it makes you feel better, as well as being a card carrying member of the ACLU, I am also a card carrying member of the NRA.”

Is that a veiled threat? Am I supposed to be afraid of you now because you may own a gun? A Hippie with a heater - that’s hilarious! Actually, that does make me feel better - thanks for the laugh!

The Hun
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:00 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
“I'm sorry that you feel that holding a civil conversation is a violation of your rights.”

Why is it, that in all of your hundreds of posts here, every time someone asks you a straight question, you spew nonsense as a reply? Do you think we’ll forget that you evaded the question? I’ll ask another...do you have any children?

“If it makes you feel better, as well as being a card carrying member of the ACLU, I am also a card carrying member of the NRA.”

Is that a veiled threat? Am I supposed to be afraid of you now because you may own a gun? A Hippie with a heater - that’s hilarious! Actually, that does make me feel better - thanks for the laugh!

The Hun
I see no need to reply to you. If I was the moderator I would ban you from this thread. Here are some of the words you've put in my mouth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinniethehun View Post
So you’re saying that taking pictures of naked children and posting them on the internet is an acceptable practice? You have a right to do that?

When can we expect to see some pictures of naked children posted by you to this forum? I want to see how long it takes for the police to come knocking on your door. Maybe you can convince them you have the right to do that.
As I said, I am sorry that you regard a free and open debate as a threat to your rights. That you find it necessary to slander me is merely par for the course. That you accuse me of threatening you goes way beyond the ludicrous. I think you should be ashamed of yourself. And I believe that most of those who disagree or agree with me, also join in condeming your posts.

Dave
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:06 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Well, Chato has conceded that a stranger taking a photo of a young girl could be suspicious. He seems to be reluctant to discuss whether police should be permitted to investigate the situation.
Actually I've agreed with all those who regard practicing pedophiles as a threat to children. And I've given a number of examples of suspicious behavior, with or without a camera. I do not regard the taking of a childs picture in a public venue, as any more suspicious than someone eyeballing a child in a public venue.

In going back to the OP's statement, whether with a camera or without a camera, in order to see INTO the back seat, the person would have to act in a manner that a reasonable person might regard as suspicious. But the OP, as his shot shows, did not do this.

Dave
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:23 PM   #187

“I see no need to reply to you. If I was the moderator I would ban you from this thread.”

“As I said, I am sorry that you regard a free and open debate as a threat to your rights.”

Well isn’t that a little two-faced Davey? How can you pretend to support a free and open debate when you won’t even talk to me? It’s a good thing you’re not the moderator - I’d be history. You’d like that, wouldn’t you Davey? I’m not worried about my rights - that’s your gig. You’re the one who’s so concerned about infringement of your rights. Isn’t that why you’ve spent most of your adult life aligning yourself with various activist groups? To protect your rights? Hey, I’d just like to see some honest answers to some of the questions you’ve been asked instead of all the smoke and mirrors. Seems like every time someone asks you a pointed question, you start reciting poetry and telling fairy tales. Why can’t you just give a simple, honest answer - got something to hide?

Was that civil enough for you?

The Hun
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:42 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I do not regard the taking of a childs picture in a public venue, as any more suspicious than someone eyeballing a child in a public venue.
... either of which, I hope you'll agree, could be suspicious.

Can we agree on that?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:34 PM   #189

As a parent of 3 kids, I'd be suspicious of anyone taking a picture of them. I wouldnt want any of those pictures posted on the internet or printed in a book, pamphlet, flyer or anything else. The reason is, I dont want them to stick out. I dont want them to become a target for some nutjob. If there is the remotest possibility of harm coming to them because someone posted their pic and made them noticeable then I object to them being posted. I dont think this is unreasonable and I honestly cant think of any parent Ive ever met who would be blasse about it. When you post pics you are taking on a responsibility for anything that happens as a result of that posting. Are you prepared to do that?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:09 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
As a parent of 3 kids, I'd be suspicious of anyone taking a picture of them. I wouldnt want any of those pictures posted on the internet or printed in a book, pamphlet, flyer or anything else. The reason is, I dont want them to stick out. I dont want them to become a target for some nutjob. If there is the remotest possibility of harm coming to them because someone posted their pic and made them noticeable then I object to them being posted. I dont think this is unreasonable and I honestly cant think of any parent Ive ever met who would be blasse about it. When you post pics you are taking on a responsibility for anything that happens as a result of that posting. Are you prepared to do that?
Granted.

But for now, can we narrow the scope of this discussion to activity that could be the precursor to a crime, and could be considered suspicious by a parent and by law enforcement?

If you witness someone taking photos of your child, you notify the authorities, they investigate, and they tell you that the photographer has a purpose for taking the photos that is legal, however you want to deal with that is between you and the photographer.

My disagreement with Chato is that if someone is taking a photo of a child, and has acted in such a way as to make the parent suspicious, law enforcement can and should make inquiries. This in no way violates anyone's rights.

Closed Thread