Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:45 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
And how do you suppose the 911 Call Center might determine that a call is frivolous without the police investigating?
I was probably editing when you were responding, I added an example in the previous post.

here's another:
"what is your emergency"
"my neighbor just blew his nose...for the 1000th time"
"and why does that concern you?"
"I think he's using cocaine"
"we'll be right there to investigate"

yeah, right
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:00 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
I was probably editing when you were responding, I added an example in the previous post.

here's another:
"what is your emergency"
"my neighbor just blew his nose...for the 1000th time"
"and why does that concern you?"
"I think he's using cocaine"
"we'll be right there to investigate"

yeah, right
Caller: "Hello? Ninth precinct? There's this guy with this big white dog who keeps taking pictures of kids. I think he's a dangerous pedophile."

Officer: "Is that right? What else does this guy do besides taking pictures?"

Caller: "Err, he uses the dog, as a lure for children. It's pretty suspicious behavior."

Officer: Ok, we will send out a Swat team ASAP" Hangs up, "Man it takes all kinds."

Dave
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:03 PM   #293

And how do you suppose the 911 Call Center might determine that a call is frivolous without the police investigating?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:08 PM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
and why would the 911 call center investigate a complaint of dandelions overgrown or nose blowing?

It is the content of the complaint, that a law is not being broken, that determines if it is frivolous
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:15 PM   #295

Quote:
and why would the 911 call center investigate a complaint of dandelions overgrown or nose blowing?
Well, for one thing, sneezing is self-administered first aid for someone experiencing a heart attack. The police might want to invesigate reports of repeated sneezing as an indication that someone is in serious distress.

For another, the smell of all the dandelions could be masking the smell of the homeowner's long dead body inside the house. That's something I think the police should get involved in.

And lastly, the police might want to investigate a report of an unleashed dog, regardless of the circumstances that prompted the original call.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:16 PM   #296

Quote:
It is the content of the complaint, that a law is not being broken, that determines if it is frivolous
And does the 911 operator determine if a law is being broken?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:22 PM   #297

you know what, I'll ask my friends who are 911 operators....
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:33 PM   #298

Well, despite Dave's self-proclaimed expert knowledge of criminology, I'll throw out the answer when I asked my father - over 40 years in law enforcement. This was his response word for word:
Quote:
John:
There is no way that the officer could ignore the complaint. If
I knew that someone was taking photo's of my child, I would do
the same thing. There is no harassment here whatsoever. If you
are out in the public taking photo's of other peoples children, you
should expect that someone is going to register a complaint.
Whenver there are investigations of child molester's, pedophiliacs,
or whatever, you will generally find that they have photo's of children
in their possession. Just remember that "Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder." When you or I see an innocent picture of a child, this is
not what the sicko sees.
The complainant in this case only knew that someone in another
car was taking pictures of his kid. He was concerned, as well he
should be. He had no idea what was going on. Therefore, you call
the police and once they have received a complaint, they are obligated
to check it out. In the situation you have described, no harm no foul.
Hope this helps.
Now, if anyone else has some input from anyone with any actual expertise in law enforcement or criminology, I'd be happy to see the different viewpoint from someone qualified.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:44 PM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Well, despite Dave's self-proclaimed expert knowledge of criminology, I'll throw out the answer when I asked my father - over 40 years in law enforcement. This was his response word for word:

Now, if anyone else has some input from anyone with any actual expertise in law enforcement or criminology, I'd be happy to see the different viewpoint from someone qualified.
Now it may very well be that your father, like many members of the force, have no idea about the laws on photography. Members of the public are routinely stopped by the NYPD while taking pictures in Subway Stations or trains. It got so bad that the NYPD has to constantly issue position statements to the force to get them to stop bothering people.

Now his response was pretty definitive. Doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. And yes, pedophiles do have pictures of children on their computers. And I HAVE pictures of children on my computer - Does this mean I am a pedophile?

Isn't it getting kind of absurd when you can make the statement that possessing pictures of children (with the implication that they are properly dressed) is a prima facie case of pedophilia?

Maybe not, with Mothers and Fathers, Grandma's and Grandpa's being arrested because they have pictures of THEIR own children.

Here's a link to one of the hysterical sites I talk about. Fear, Hysteria, Fear - Your kids gonna die if their picture is on the Internet. Evidence? Heck, who needs evidence when you KNOW!

http://seadooer.tripod.com/sayno-contests.html

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Oct 22, 2009 at 1:58 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:50 PM   #300

Dave - you keep ignoring what we tell you - ITS THE BEHAVIOR that's suspicious. And so far, you haven't come up with a single credible post suggesting police should not have followed up on the complaint. Just like using binnoculars to watch children is suspicious so is taking a photo from one vehicle into another of a child. You'll notice in my father's response he never suggested the person should have been arrested but he agreed:
1) as a cop and a father the actions of the photographer were suspicious
2) the police officer correctly did their job by following up on the complaint

Now, I'm well aware of your personal opinion. But do you have any credible legal source that can provide information that the police officer acted inappropriately by following up on the complaint in the manner they did? Again, I realize what your personal opinion is

Closed Thread