Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:37 AM   #341
Senior Member
 
kazuya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,007
Default

chato by making the phonecall, the police are just letting the person know that he was seen taking pictures, now if there had of been something untoward about the matter i.e kidnapping etc, then maybe the police just prevented a crime taking place.
is that not better than waiting for a kid to go missing then start making calls?

sometimes the world is a bit crazy, as you say its a sad day when a parent cant take pictures of his child playing in the bath without suspicion of pedophillia. and i agree thats wrong when it happens.
but thats a completly different senario to the one at the begining of this thread, i dont understand how you cannot see that.
kazuya is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:31 AM   #342
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

[QUOTE=TCav;1012485]WRONG!

Quote:
...The caller introduced himself as Constable ***** of the RCMP. He said that he had received a call from the Father of the little girl who was very concerned about someone taking pictures of his Daughter. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The more you misrepresent the info in this thread, the less inclined I am to beleive you about info you introduce from other sources.
For some reason you left out the following from the OP?

Quote:
WOW, my heart nearly stopped, now I'm suspected of being a Pedophile.
Probably a typo on your part...

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:35 AM   #343
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,529
Default

[QUOTE=Chato;1012548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
WRONG!





For some reason you left out the following from the OP?



Probably a typo on your part...

Dave
Dave - you obviously read that statement differently than we did. To me, that is an ASSUMPTION on the part of the OP. Nothing in that statement says the officer accused or even suspected him of being a pedophile. He got the call and ASSUMED that was the only reason the police would call. Again, you're insinuating your own thought process into the OPs words. Or perhaps we have it wrong and the officer did accuse him and the OP just didn't say the officer occused him. The OP could certainly clear that up for us.
JohnG is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:35 AM   #344
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Dave - do you just make up your own reality as you go along? Take a deep breath and re-read. According to the OP, there is no mention of the cop questioning him about pedophilia. The OP ASSUMED that - but the cop just questioned him about taking photos of someone else's child. You've got a very active imagination Dave - you just keep inventing new truths along the way.

If you stick to the facts instead of an overactive imagination you might not be so worked up about this.
We ARE going by what the OP said, and he didn't exactly give us a verbatim transcript of what the officer said. He certainly thought it was about pedophilia, and according to him, he even called in his wife to make a denial. Perhaps he's still following this thread and can clear it up, but the wording on his part is quite clear. The conversation was about pedophilia.

And seriously John, you really think it Wasn't about pedophilia?

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:42 AM   #345
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
chato by making the phonecall, the police are just letting the person know that he was seen taking pictures, now if there had of been something untoward about the matter i.e kidnapping etc, then maybe the police just prevented a crime taking place.
is that not better than waiting for a kid to go missing then start making calls?

sometimes the world is a bit crazy, as you say its a sad day when a parent cant take pictures of his child playing in the bath without suspicion of pedophillia. and i agree thats wrong when it happens.
but thats a completly different senario to the one at the begining of this thread, i dont understand how you cannot see that.
Every adult/child contact is now judged through the mirror of fear. Take pictures of the school play? Hmm? Pedophiles. Photograph kids sports? Why would an adult want to do that?

Take pictures at the beach? Very suspicious.

Is this some sort of joke that we are playing on ourselves? And in this demented atmosphere of a pedophile behind every bush, we have a guy taking a straight head shot, and the cops are called! Yeah, sure, it was done in a car. Big deal.

Parents come to me to ask if the childrens theatre director is a pedophile. Was there any rational behind their fear, Other Than The Terrible Alarming FACT that the guy Loves Kids!

Well, I had to be tactful, and not just tell them that their acting hysterical.

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:31 PM   #346
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
For some reason you left out the following from the OP?
That was the OP's irrational reaction to being questioned by police, not something the OP repeated from his conversation with the cosntable.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:37 PM   #347
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
We ARE going by what the OP said, and he didn't exactly give us a verbatim transcript of what the officer said. He certainly thought it was about pedophilia, and according to him, he even called in his wife to make a denial. Perhaps he's still following this thread and can clear it up, but the wording on his part is quite clear. The conversation was about pedophilia.

And seriously John, you really think it Wasn't about pedophilia?
We might be talking about pedophilia. We might also be talking about a custody battle. We might also be talking about a kidnapping threat.

We don't know what we're talking about.

From what we do know, the "Pedophilia" thing seens to have come from the OP's irrational fear.

Give the "Pedophilia" thing a rest.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
TCav is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:41 PM   #348
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
As a father, probably the ban that I hate the most is the growing tendency to prohibit parents from taking photos of their children during school plays, concerts, and sporting activities. Six years ago, when Edinburgh’s director of education called for a ban on photographic or video recordings of nativity plays and school concerts, there was a huge outcry from parents. Since this incident, the outcry has died down and such bans are routinely adopted by schools and sports centers throughout Britain. Some schools do not even allow the photographer of the local paper to take a picture of their pupils playing sports. When a friend decided to take a photo of his son during a Saturday soccer match, he was accused of gross irresponsibility. How long before we insist that children play football behind closed doors or — better still — ban the sport all together?

Some schools in the West Midlands, Norfolk, and Luton have prohibited the audience from videoing or taking digital pictures of Christmas plays. In 2003, Blackburn Council banned picture-taking mobile phones in swimming pools in order to frustrate would-be pedophile photographers. Numerous schools have decided to take the pictures of their pupils off their websites — in case they are misused. The phenomenon of parents having to sign specific permission slips to allow their child to be photographed is now commonplace; as is the practice of day care centers refusing to provide parents with photos of their own children at their party. Local newspapers are now confronted with the challenge of how to fill the many pages left due to the ban on the publishing of children’s pictures. How long before the school photograph becomes a curious historic relic of a permissive age? Worse still, how long before the possession of a class photo is interpreted as evidence of criminal intent?

The assumption that pictures represent a significant threat to children has acquired a fantasy-like grotesque character. We rarely dare ask the question: what possible harm can come from taking pictures of children playing soccer? Dark hints about the threat of evil networks of pedophiles are sufficient to corrode common sense. Tragically, what the dramatization and criminalization of the act of photographing children reveals is a culture that regards virtually every childhood experience from the standpoint of a pedophile.

Every possible form of interaction between an adult and a child is perceived as yet another opportunity for child abuse. In a roundabout way society has normalized pedophilia. The default position is to always expect the worse — and therefore children should be placed in purdah.

Frank Furedi: Photographing children becomes a crime
Nothing to see here folks, things are perfectly normal...

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Oct 24, 2009 at 1:00 PM.
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 12:50 PM   #349
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
We might be talking about pedophilia. We might also be talking about a custody battle. We might also be talking about a kidnapping threat.

We don't know what we're talking about.

From what we do know, the "Pedophilia" thing seens to have come from the OP's irrational fear.

Give the "Pedophilia" thing a rest.
So, you're saying that a conversation in which the OP tells us consisted primarily of him denying being a pedophile, has in fact nothing to do with pedophilia? Why not rewrite the OP's post so it better reflects your views?

In fact, he quotes no one in his post. One would think that that officer would have been a bit more specific in HIS scenario?

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 1:54 PM   #350
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
So, you're saying that a conversation in which the OP tells us consisted primarily of him denying being a pedophile, has in fact nothing to do with pedophilia? Why not rewrite the OP's post so it better reflects your views?
Wow! You accuse me of the offense you are most guilty of! I suppose that you could get away with that kind of thing in a face to face exchange by shouting, but that doesn't work so well here does it?

If I were in a more generous mood, I might call you a master of misdirection, but the truth is you're not very good at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
In fact, he quotes no one in his post. One would think that that officer would have been a bit more specific in HIS scenario?
NO! Once again, you demonstrate that you don't know how investigations proceed. The investigator NEVER asks pointed questions. The investigator never shows his hand. He or she always lets the subject of the investigation fill in the blanks. The constable would never have said anything that would have led the OP to infer that he was seupected of any offense, pedophilia or whatever. It was the OP that jumped to the conclusion that he was suspected of pedophilia.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline  
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:39 PM.