Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 24, 2009, 2:04 PM   #351
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Wow! You accuse me of the offense you are most guilty of! I suppose that you could get away with that kind of thing in a face to face exchange by shouting, but that doesn't work so well here does it?

If I were in a more generous mood, I might call you a master of misdirection, but the truth is you're not very good at it.



NO! Once again, you demonstrate that you don't know how investigations proceed. The investigator NEVER asks pointed questions. The investigator never shows his hand. He or she always lets the subject of the investigation fill in the blanks. The constable would never have said anything that would have led the OP to infer that he was seupected of any offense, pedophilia or whatever. It was the OP that jumped to the conclusion that he was suspected of pedophilia.
We are going by the OP's story, not yours. A divorce case? Kidnapping?

Please. His post, not yours, is about an accusation of pedophilia. If we were face to face ( ) I would be happy to say the same things, just as civily as I am doing via this text medium. I have pointed out the plain nature of his post. You insist on rewriting it to fit your convenience.

If indeed the accusation had nothing to do with pedophilia, you are then saying that the officer wouldn't have even hinted to this effect? He deliberately lied by ommision to the OP?

This is logic on your part?

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Oct 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM. Reason: typo
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:24 PM   #352
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

If the present trend continues, and people continue to close their eyes to reality, I wonder what it's going to be like?

Quote:
One of George’s admirers was a girl of about seven. A plain, awkward child, she played by herself in the park. On seeing the puppy, her face lit up and the plainness vanished. Every day — or rather every other day — she rushed up to me, falling over herself to hold him and cuddle him. Naturally we fell into conversation. An intelligent child, perhaps rather lonely, she was curious to know all about the dog, its owner — and my strangely silent friend John, who appeared on rainy days. “Why doesn’t your friend talk to me?” she asked, hurt. I was surprised at the question and, thinking that John was being churlish or impatient, resolved to tackle him about it that evening. “What, are you crazy?” he asked. “I can’t go talking to little girls in parks. I’ll get arrested.”


I remonstrated with him, but had to acknowledge that he had a point. George’s canine charms had failed to break down one of Britain’s great barriers: the barrier between adults and children. It is acceptable — just — for a woman to talk to someone else’s child in a public place, but a man who does the same thing must be a pervert. Has it come to this? How many perverts are there, for goodness sake?
London Mayor Boris Johnson asked the same question in the Telegraph a couple of years ago, when a British Airways stewardess asked him to change seats because he was sitting next to some children: “We have very strict rules.” Johnson wrote:


To all those who worry about the pedophile plague, I would say that they not only have a very imperfect understanding of probability, but also that they fail to understand the terrible damage that is done by this system of presuming guilt in the entire male population just because of the tendencies of a tiny minority.
There are all sorts of reasons why the numbers of male school teachers are down 50 percent in the period 1981 to 2001, and why the ratio of female to male teachers in primary schools is now seven to one. … But it is surely a huge deterrent to any public-spirited man contemplating a career in education that society apparently regards all adult male contact with young people as being potentially a bit dodgy, a bit rum, a bit you know. …
It is insane, and the problem is the general collapse of trust. Almost every human relationship that was sensibly regulated by trust is now governed by law, with cripplingly expensive consequences.
Pajamas Media Society Builds Wall Between Men and Children
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:34 PM   #353
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
We are going by the OP's story, not yours. A divorce case? Kidnapping?

Please. His post, not yours, is about an accusation of pedophilia. If we were face to face ( ) I would be happy to say the same things, just as civily as I am doing via this text medium. I have pointed out the plain nature of his post. You insist on rewriting it to fit your convenience.

If indeed the accusation had nothing to do with pedophilia, you are then saying that the officer wouldn't have even hinted to this effect? He deliberately lied by ommision to the OP?

This is logic on your part?
You still don't get it. The OP never said he was accused of pedophilia. He never said he was being invesigated for suspicion of pedophilia. According to his account of the phone call, the constable never mentioned pedophilia. He jumped to the conclusion that he was being investigated for pedophilia.

Investigators don't tell people why they're being investigated. Even if he was being investigated for suspicion of pedophilia, the constable wouldn't have mentioned it.

Are you losing it?

Do you need to take a break?

I suggest that you read the OP's OP ... very ... very ... slowly.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:58 PM   #354
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You still don't get it. The OP never said he was accused of pedophilia. He never said he was being invesigated for suspicion of pedophilia. According to his account of the phone call, the constable never mentioned pedophilia. He jumped to the conclusion that he was being investigated for pedophilia.

Investigators don't tell people why they're being investigated. Even if he was being investigated for suspicion of pedophilia, the constable wouldn't have mentioned it.

Are you losing it?

Do you need to take a break?

I suggest that you read the OP's OP ... very ... very ... slowly.
Obviously his story has nothing to do with pedophilia.

Quote:
The caller introduced himself as Constable ***** of the RCMP. He said that he had received a call from the Father of the little girl who was very concerned about someone taking pictures of his Daughter. WOW, my heart nearly stopped, now I'm suspected of being a Pedophile. Right away I told the officer exactly what had transpired and my wife piped in that I was shooting for an assignment for the Photography Class I was taking. I assured him that there was nothing untoward about the shot and that he could come up to the house and see it for himself and that the shot was still on the memory card along with a couple of hundred more photos of everything and anything and no other little girls. He seemed to believe me and my wife but I'm sure that I am going to be put on some kind of watch list or something.
The watch list he refers to is due to his athletic powers, or perhaps his well known habit of competing in hot dog eating contests?

As we all can see, you have a much better take on this than I do.

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:19 PM   #355
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
The watch list he refers to is due to his athletic powers, or perhaps his well known habit of competing in hot dog eating contests?
That was the OP jumping to conclusions. Nothing in the OP's account indicates that the constable mentioned pedophilia.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:22 PM   #356
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That was the OP jumping to conclusions. Nothing in the OP's account indicates that the constable mentioned pedophilia.
Then you're accusing the Police of lying to this guy? They apparently spoke for quite a while and the Cop simply let him talk about pedophilia without uttering a word? Is that your position?

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:21 PM   #357
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Default

I think it's useless to keep arguing about what the OP said, personally. But I do think the articles make a point, maybe not relevant to the OP but a good point, nonetheless. The articles demonstrate where the US could be in a few years if we keep on allowing irrational fears to dictate laws, and even norms. The one article said exactly what I was saying earlier, about the low probability of ever encountering a pedophile, yet everyone seems to be overly afraid of it happening. I think when one is in law enforcement or social work, you also tend to get a skewed view of how big of a problem these things are. The internet has made it very easy to spread information, and therefore there is more awareness--which is good on the one hand, but not so good if it creates a false sense of insecurity and irrational fears to protect oneself from bogeymen. I guess watching a lot of tv creates the same feeling. I know when I started watching crime programs, I started imagining many bad things happening whereas I would never have thought of them before... Just food for thought. Not saying anyone has to agree with me, I just like to get people thinking.
javacleve is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:57 PM   #358
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
I think it's useless to keep arguing about what the OP said, personally. But I do think the articles make a point, maybe not relevant to the OP but a good point, nonetheless. The articles demonstrate where the US could be in a few years if we keep on allowing irrational fears to dictate laws, and even norms. The one article said exactly what I was saying earlier, about the low probability of ever encountering a pedophile, yet everyone seems to be overly afraid of it happening. I think when one is in law enforcement or social work, you also tend to get a skewed view of how big of a problem these things are. The internet has made it very easy to spread information, and therefore there is more awareness--which is good on the one hand, but not so good if it creates a false sense of insecurity and irrational fears to protect oneself from bogeymen. I guess watching a lot of tv creates the same feeling. I know when I started watching crime programs, I started imagining many bad things happening whereas I would never have thought of them before... Just food for thought. Not saying anyone has to agree with me, I just like to get people thinking.
Through my entire childhood, no one ever attempted to molest me. Nor, although I remembered the warning about not going with strangers, no stranger ever asked me to go with them (Probably many strangers would have paid good money to keep away from me, because I was a curious little pest).

Obviously a sheltered life, growing up in a housing project and then a working class neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Quite a few people did photograph me, as my father photographed quite a few kids himself - many of his pictures would have gotten him locked up today. But, as we all know, there are MORE pedophiles today - Some sort of virus that infects normal respectable adults like the flu, and turns them into raging sex fiends, AND photographers. I read on one blog that 95 percent of men are potential pedophiles. This worries me; once again I'm missing out. Why should I be one of the few who doesn't lust after babies?

And how many who read this thread have actually been abused by pedophiles? I don't doubt for a minute that it occurs and leaves scars. But we are now in the process of scaring an entire generation of children who are growing up in an atmosphere of fear, where each and every adult should be feared - Take your photograph? Better run...

Dave
Chato is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:12 PM   #359
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Then you're accusing the Police of lying to this guy? They apparently spoke for quite a while and the Cop simply let him talk about pedophilia without uttering a word? Is that your position?
There's nothing in the OP's account of how long he and his wife spoke with the constable.

There's nothing in the OP's account to indicate that anyone mentioned pedophilia.

The police weren't lying to anyone. They were simply investigating. When you investigate, you ask questions. The constable was asking questions about a report he had received.

As much as you'd like to turn this into something it isn't, that's all that happened. A father complained and the RCMP investigated. From the OP's account, it sounds like he and his wife were doing most of the talking, and no one used the word 'Pedophilia' in any form.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline  
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:13 PM   #360
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,544
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by javacleve View Post
I think it's useless to keep arguing about what the OP said, personally. But I do think the articles make a point, maybe not relevant to the OP but a good point, nonetheless. The articles demonstrate where the US could be in a few years if we keep on allowing irrational fears to dictate laws, and even norms. The one article said exactly what I was saying earlier, about the low probability of ever encountering a pedophile, yet everyone seems to be overly afraid of it happening. I think when one is in law enforcement or social work, you also tend to get a skewed view of how big of a problem these things are. The internet has made it very easy to spread information, and therefore there is more awareness--which is good on the one hand, but not so good if it creates a false sense of insecurity and irrational fears to protect oneself from bogeymen. I guess watching a lot of tv creates the same feeling. I know when I started watching crime programs, I started imagining many bad things happening whereas I would never have thought of them before... Just food for thought. Not saying anyone has to agree with me, I just like to get people thinking.
I agree with you.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline  
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.