Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:34 AM   #1

Default new digicam user

Please give me an advice. its my first time to buy a digicam and i have a budget of only $300-$350. I would prefer a 3.2 mega pix, and uses a rechargeable lithium or lithium ion batteries. please advise me coz its my first time to buy digicam. thanks very much.
elenamontaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:44 AM   #2
Administrator

I would give strong consideration to a camera like the Minolta DiMAGE G500. IMO, it's a real "steal" at current prices, with image quality that can match or exceed much larger 5MP cameras.

It's a 5 megapixel, subcompact model (small enough to fit in a pocket yet still very easy to hold and use, with great low light focus ability, flash range, excellent image quality, 3x Optical Zoom, and lots of user control).

You can find them discounted (online vendors) for slightly over $300.00 now (as low as $301.00 from some reputable dealers).

It uses a Lithium Ion Battery, and you can find Generic 850mAh Spares for as little as $10.20 from an Ebay vendor.

It can also use Secure Digital and/or Memory Stick Media, and you can have both in the camera at the same time (you tell it which one to use first, and it will automatically switch to the other when the first is full).

See this thread for someone else looking for a 3 Megapixel Compact Camera for more info, links to albums and user comments about it, vendor information, and much more about features, etc.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=#76828

I suggested they consider this 5MP model instead: Minolta DiMAGE G500 (a.ka., Konica Revio KD-510z).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:19 AM   #3

Default minolta g500

thanks for your reply. ive checked the specs of this camera. it looks good except that it doesnt have a video outport. what can you say about the minolta dimage xt? would this be a good choice too? thanks
Old Nov 15, 2003, 10:32 AM   #4
Administrator

You're right. There is no video output on the camera. For my purposes, I wouldn't need one (I'd just burn a Video CD if I wanted to view pics on a TV).

The Xt is a popular choice, and much more compact. However, you're not going to get the image quality of a camera using a larger CCD (as in cameras like the Canon S400, Minolta G500, etc.). Flash range could also be a problem in many of the smaller models, if you take a lot of indoor photos. Most cameras flashes are rated at Auto ISO (they increase the sensitivity of the CCD, which adds noise).

The G500 is rated at ISO 100, and I've gotten well exposed flash photos at up to 16 feet away at ISO 200 (although some drop-off is visible starting at around 14 feet).

Most subcompact models can only go about half as far, at the same ISO speeds.

There are pros and cons to any camera choice. As a general rule, the ultracompact models are going to be giving up something to the larger models (image quality, noise, flash range, etc.), so take this into consideration when comparing cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:27 PM   #5

Default kodak cx6330

thanks very much for your reply. i really appreciate it. i have one last inquiry, what is your opinion about the kodak cx 6330? i just saw in a website that it can now use rechargeable lithium ion batteries.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:37 PM   #6

sorry i meant the kodak dx6340.