Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1

Default The Rules of Photography

I am trying to find a simple solution to a problem and I can't believe someone hasn't already written it. So here goes:

I am looking for a book that lists in a simple, short format, advice for shooting photos. For example,

Rule: If your model is a person and is standing, and the photo is a full length photo, then placing the camera at the height of his or her belly button will keep their body and head in proportion. Shooting from eye level downward causes the head to be larger than actual and the person's torso and legs are disproportionate.

There has got to be a million rules of thumb for photography. The problem is that I have to read 10 pages in a book to find a rule like this. Is there a source or can we start a source that just lays out those rules, (without getting side tracked with debates)!

BTW, I learned the rule above because some of my wife's photographs looked better than mine and we were shooting with the same gear. I'm 6' 3" tall, she's 5' 2". Even though we were shooting the same person, she was closer to the bellybutton than I was when we were both standing. Our subject was our daughter who is 4' 10".

So I'd appreciate you posting a simple rule or pointing me towards a source of simple rules. My dream source would be a book of 1000 rules of photography that is 100 pages long. 10 rules per page. I've got books that are about a chapter per rule. It sometimes takes forever to find the rule being taught just because there's so much verbiage.

Faithfully Yours,
FP
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:14 PM   #2

Rule: When shooting a portrait at a 45 degree angle, keeping the nose inside the face helps to keep the nose look smaller. If the nose is outside the face, then it becomes part of the profile and tends to look bigger. Not a flattering look.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3

I see that this thread has 130 views but no replies. Sure wish a few of the smart folks with a camera would share some of their smarts.

Please.......
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:26 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulPastor View Post
I see that this thread has 130 views but no replies. Sure wish a few of the smart folks with a camera would share some of their smarts.

Please.......
You'd be more likely to get responses if the thread was somewhere other than Contact Steve's, so I'll move this thread down to the General Q&A Forum for you now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:44 AM   #5

Rule: Remove the lens cap.

Rule: Point the camera at the subject.

Rule: Keep your fingers out from in front of the lens.

That exhausts my set of rules.

Though I did once get a photo I'm pleased with even though I had my finger in front of the lens.

In other words, there are no rules. Sometimes you'll have to take a photo of the inside of your lens cap.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:53 AM   #6

TCav, I'm going to print out those great rules and carry them with me forever! LOL!
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:04 AM   #7
Administrator

I'd probably add "Turn the Camera on" (since digital cameras I've used seem to work better that way) somewhere around the remove the lens cap rule. :-)
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:06 AM   #8
Administrator

Of course, making sure you have charged batteries in the camera, a memory card with space left on it and more come to mind, too. ;-)
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:15 AM   #9

At the moment, I am tempted to quote Job 13:4b ....
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:19 AM   #10

When shooting a portraits, having eyes in the sharpest focus usually delivers the best result. If the eyes are out of focus, the entire photo seems off.