Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:13 PM   #1

Default 4MEG Kodak produces 650k files?

I have a Kodak 6440 (4meg). I have the quality set to "best" which the owners manual says should yield a 4 meg picture. The pictures are not that clear and the file size on most of the 125 pictures I just took says between 600k and 900k. What am I doing wrong?
BinderZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 6:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Most Digital Cameras have separate adjustments for the amount of JPEG Compression applied, and the Image Resolution used.

Your Kodak does not (you have no control over the amount of JPEG Compression being used by the camera).

It does appear to use relatively high compression (somewhere around the low to mid quality range in some other models). This is usually fine to most eyes, for most print sizes, although it can result in loss of detail (but at smaller print sizes, they should look fine).

If you look at the sample photos in Steve's review, your file sizes are not too far off from his:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...0_samples.html

Also, the file size depends on the amount of detail captured. So, if you are taking photos with less detail, or more of the same color in a photo, then the file sizes will be smaller.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 7:32 PM   #3

Don't worry I have a DX6490 and the 4.0MP photos I have taken are very small...any where from 250KB right up to 1.3MB, so far. Like JimC said, its a matter of how much color detail is captured in each photo.

On another note: When I take a 2300x1700 (4.0MB) 990KB file, open it in PS7 and crop it to 2000x1500 (3.0MP) then go to File > Save for Web > then save at 100% the picture increases in size to 2.5MB. Even though the picture has been cropped <shrug>. I guess PS7 uncompresses the image file size, interesting I didn't notice it until just today.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:22 PM   #4

Addendum;

I have seen no adverse effect on quality from the compression used on the DX6490. I recently made a 13"x19" print of my Son which looks every bit as good as the 2 other 13"x19"s I made from the Nikon 5700 I use to have.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote