Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2009, 1:46 AM   #1

Default Problem playing back .MOV in H.264 AAC codec

I used to have a Casio EX-Z700 and it saved video in AVI format. It played nicely in WMP and I was able to edit them in Windows Movie Maker.

Now I have a EX-Z300 which records it in .MOV format using H.264 video and AAC audio codec.

WMP won't touch it at all. Quicktime plays it, but audio doesn't work right.

I downloaded a software called DivX player and it plays, but its very choppy.

The video plays back fine on camera or if I upload it to YouTube.

What would I need that is free to play this kind of file smoothly on my computer? I would love to be able to edit them like I used to be able to do in Windows Movie Maker..
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:28 PM   #2

Do you have the latest version and updates to WMP? My older version doesn't deal with DVD video, much less H.264. You might try Media Player Classic. It may be necessary to reinstall your media player after the relevant codecs are installed. It seems some software reads the codecs on installation, but doesn't update them when newer codecs are installed.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:25 AM   #3

Do you have an older computer? More often than not, if you do not have a virtually state of the art Windows computer with a fast and powerful cpu, enough memory and the appropriate video card, you will get choppy H.264 playback no matter what you do or what H.264 codec is being used. Now, if it were an iMac it would play (and edit) flawlessly, which is strange since the hardware is the same nowadays as Windows machines, leaving me to think the real problem is that Windows is an inefficeint resource hog ... which it is.

To prove that statement, run Windows on the iMac (it really will!) and try working with your H.264 vid files and see what happens! I am hoping that Windows 7 will be more friendly to those of us working with and editing H.264 or similar video.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:11 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme000 View Post
I used to have a Casio EX-Z700 and it saved video in AVI format. It played nicely in WMP and I was able to edit them in Windows Movie Maker.

Now I have a EX-Z300 which records it in .MOV format using H.264 video and AAC audio codec.

WMP won't touch it at all. Quicktime plays it, but audio doesn't work right.

I downloaded a software called DivX player and it plays, but its very choppy.

The video plays back fine on camera or if I upload it to YouTube.

What would I need that is free to play this kind of file smoothly on my computer? I would love to be able to edit them like I used to be able to do in Windows Movie Maker..
hi,itsme

Windows Movie Maker accepted formats:
.WMV, .ASF, .MPG (MPEG-1), .AVI (DV-AVI), .WMA, .WAV, and .MP3
Additionally, the Windows Vista Home Premium and Ultimate editions of Movie Maker support importing MPEG-2 Program streams and DVR-MS formats.

Best Formats for Uploading
YouTube can accept almost any video format for upload, but for most users we have found the following settings give the best results.
Video Format: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 preferred
Aspect Ratio: Native aspect ratio without letterboxing (examples: 4:3, 16:9)
Resolution: 640x360 (16:9) or 480x360 (4:3) recommended
Audio Format: MP3 or AAC preferred
Frames per second: 30
Maximum length: 10 minutes (we recommend 2-3 minutes)
Maximum file size: 1 GB

It is obviously that .mov files are out of this range. Up to now, the only answer I have got is that doing format conversion is absolutely necessary. Then what program can work well to do this? Through some attempts on several utilities I searched on Google, finally ******* Video Converter stands out from the others. Before using it, I've tried some similar converters as well, virtually all of them can transfer mov to Windows Movie Maker compatible format, but always bring problems one or another, like terrible conversion speed, audio and video out of sync issues, etc. This one does not have these issues, so it won my appreciation, of course.

detailed info: http://www.*******.com/video_converter/

jimmy

Last edited by jimmy8765; Mar 18, 2010 at 9:15 PM.
jimmy8765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 8:44 PM   #5
Administrator

jimmy8765

You'll find that we do not tolerate spammers here (i.e., members joining the forums to promote companies, products or services).

As a result of your post, all links to the product you're trying to promote are now being filtered by our forums software, regardless of the member posting that information, and you have been banned. You're not welcome here. Try another forum.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6

I've had the same problem with my Canon cameras -- I'm extremely annoyed that Canon decided to use a format that they KNOW is a pain for Windows users -- but the best solution I've found so far is some freeware called mp4cam2avi, which you can download from SourceForge (open source projects), plus the freeware ffdshow with H.264 codec, which is also on SourceForge. The MOV file is really just a "wrapper" with an H.264 video file inside it. Mp4cam2avi can move the H.264 video into an AVI wrapper without doing any conversion of the video format itself (and therefore without any loss of quality). With the ffdshow H.264 codec installed, Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Player will work with these files.

One limitation: mp4cam2avi will only process files up to 2 GB.
Roger_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:58 AM   #7

You can also try VLC Media Player. Very popular free solution and file size or usage limitation.

Windows 7 does a much better job than XP or Vista. I run it on two laptops and my desktop and they all play 1080P movies made with my 7D without issues and this is without downloading additional players or codecs.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote