Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2003, 5:37 PM   #1

Default I'm a dumb blonde...:)

OK...I admit it...I am not really dumb...but I really do need advice.

I have read through several threads here on digital cameras and which ones to buy and have been struggling for weeks on spending the money on a new digital camera or my SLR which is really very nice. I have decided that I am going to buy a new digital, but not spend a lot. I am so confused (blonde-ness setting in) on the millions of models out there.

What is the very best deal on a digital camera below $200 that has at least 3 mpix with a zoom. I know there has to be some fantastic little inexpensive camera out there for me but I have spent a lot of time going through the previous threads and now am more confused than ever. My husband is military so I am lucky enough to be able to buy at the Exchange and save quite a lot on whatever camera I choose.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Also, is there a forum here where people can advertise to buy used equipment? I would even consider buying someone's nice little digital if it was in good shape and reasonable.

Thanks...

Toria
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:23 PM   #2

Toria...

3mp or more for $200 might be tough to find. I've seen that Ritz just marked down the A60 and the Nikon 2100 to $199, but they are both 2mp cameras. Both are nice... I liked both the A70 and 3100 when I was shopping around and each of these is almost identical to its 'little brother' except for being 3mp. If video is important to you, keep in mind the Nikon 2100 & 3100 have no sound with the video clips.

Another piece of advice, the military exchange is NOT, I repeat, NOT a good place to buy electronics of ANY kind. Trust me on this one... I have nearly two decades of experience at it (man I'm getting old .

After products have been on the market a while, consumer electronics stores & department stores begin to mark them down... especially as new products come out. The PX and/or Navy exchange RARELY does this. I've frequently looked at computer equipment in the exchange and found things like video cards that are two (or more) year old technology, still selling at the price they were at when they came on the market. I can usually find the same item at BB or Circuit City for a fraction of the price.

I realize that you get a break by not having to pay the sales tax, but on electronics items it usually doesn't make up for the fact that you're paying full MSRP. If the price is important, and it sounds like it is, please shop around first. The military exchange is a strange beast... they aren't driven by the market the way the major electronics stores are. People will shop there anyway, and they're not really as concerned about making a profit or moving items before they're obsolete. I have to laugh when I see the items on their 'clearance' table with the red stickers... VCRs in shrink wrap with no remote and no box... and they are so generous they mark it 10% off... lol. You can find the same model new in a box for less out in the real world.

Sorry for digressing... and I'm not really slamming the PX, they are a great resource and very useful for certain things. Higher priced electronics is just not one of them.

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2003, 9:41 PM   #3

Hmm..

Update... just checked Circuit City's website and selected 3mp cameras, all brands. Several came in well under $200 but had only digital zoom (ugh).

Two however, are 3mp/3x optical zoom and sell for $199:

Fuji Finepix A210 http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_3&oid=78049

Kodak CX6330 http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_4&oid=75901

They're also both selling for $199 at Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat04002

Hope those links work. I don't know anything about either camera other than what I saw on the web... perhaps someone else here could offer good or bad comments about either of them. I did notice that the Fuji has no sound with its video clips also, just like the Nikons. I found a user review on the Kodak on the dpreview web site that sounds well-thought out and informative: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=18987

In case you reconsider your spending limit... a plug for the camera I chose (after about 5 weeks of comparison shopping)... CC just marked the A70 down from $299 to $275. http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_9&oid=74939

Can you tell I'm still in camera-shopping mode even though I bought mine months ago?

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Kevin
KevinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:15 AM   #4

Hey thanks Kevin for the links and the great info!

I am really interested right now in a Minolta Dimage xi that I found for $214. For what this camera is, I think that is a wonderful price...

I am still going to look into the links you gave me and comparison shop. :lol:

That is interesting what you said about the PX. My husband is Air Force so I am only familiar with the BX (same thing I'm sure) but I have never seen what you were referring to in the BX with the clearance items. I have always found some super deals there. I haven't ever bought any high priced item from there though...just get my groceries and a LOT of other stuff at fantastic prices. I save about $150 a month at least on just my groceries!
I'm going there tomorrow though so will have to check out some of their prices on their digital cameras and see how they compare.

Thanks again!

Toria
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote