Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Help with Nikon D40...Memory Card?

I have just purchased my first Digital SLR camera, the Nikon D40. Could someone please suggest a memory card that is suitable and works well? The camera will be used for family pictures, weddings, babies, that sort of stuff.

Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Thanks
Lparks781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the D40.

Most SDHC cards should work fine. I'd probably look for a faster Class 6 (or newer Class 10 designation) card. Sandisk cards are popular (for example, their Extreme III Cards). You may want to look at something like this 8GB Class 6 Transcend, too. It comes with a card reader, has a lifetime warranty, and it's only $20.99 with free shipping right now (assuming you're in the U.S.) from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208376
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:35 PM   #3

Default Thank you.....

About how many pictures does that hold? and should the camera be set on compressed or uncompressed images? I am aware that the uncompressed images take up more space, but are they of better quality? Is there so much of a difference between the two?

I am a beginner here so any advice or suggestions you can offer would be great. We have an upcoming family wedding and would like to get some great shots.
Lparks781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Administrator

You could probably get around 1200 photos on an 8GB Card shooting RAW + JPEG Basic. That way, you'd have a lower quality JPEG file you could use for smaller web size images, as well as a RAW file you could convert for higher quality. I'd make sure to shoot RAW (or RAW + JPEG) for more flexibility later, since RAW will allow more latitude for exposure errors, white balance accuracy and more.

If budget permits, make sure to get an external flash, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote