Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Travel

With my new DSLR acquisition consisting of several lenses, camera and the camera bag, what kind of security procedure I may encounter at an airport. In the past, I had point and shoot and that was a non issue. I know that I have to take out my laptop computer and put it in a separate container while going through the airport security. Any such requirements for my camera gear? Also, do the airline count it as an extra carry on?
Andy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:05 PM   #2

Andy-

Yes, the airline counts your camera bag as one of your two carry-ons. While you do have to pull out lap tops, usually the only question you are asked is if you are carrying a video recorder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:24 PM   #3

Do NOT check your camera bag!!!
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Do NOT check your camera bag!!!
What TCav says x 100.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:00 PM   #5

When I went down to a graduation in AZ I took only two bags and one was just the two cameras I had... I did not get asked then but I am sure they have changed it all...for that was some 19 years ago
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6

Last year I flow Richmond to Atlanta with one camera bag (NOVA AW3) and a carry-on rolling suite case. They asked me if I had a video camera in the bag and that was it. My A200 with lens attached, extra memory cards, 2 extra batteries and the wolverine device went without any any issues. The camera bag went under the seat and the suite case went overhead.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:29 AM   #7

That, Dave, is just about exactly how the Security Drill goes-

You should always take your camer bag on board with you, as a carry-on piece. You will get the video camera question, but other than that it is all very straight forward, and easy to do.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:42 AM   #8

Just to add a couple things. First, the reason you never want to check camera equipment is pretty much every major airline will refuse to reimburse you for any valuable item - camera, jewelry, etc. worth stealing. So you never want to check valuables of any kind. And, of course, there's the rough handling of luggage.

Just be sure that any camera bag you take easily fits size restrictions. This is more of an issue on commuter flights actually. A camer bag that fits the general restrictions may be too big for the smaller bins on commuter flights and you end up having to gate check it (get's tagged at the gate and they throw it into cargo like they do strollers and such - again giving more opportunity for damage and theft).

But I routinely fly with my camera backpack with body and numerous lenses and it's no issue with security whatsoever.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote