Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Press Credentials

Ok, as a followup to my wildly successful How to make money with my camera I now present, How do I get press credentials?

This past weekend I attended a photo seminar at Georgetown University and as part of the seminar they gave everyone press passes and allowed us to go to the football game and take pictures. I got to stand right on the sidelines (I was told I could go anywhere I wanted as long as I didn't step onto the field). This was my first time taking any fast action sport photos and after I go through some of them I'll post them for all to see.

I was wondering if anyone knew how you could get credentialled (sp?) as a photographer so that you can get access to areas that are usually not usually open to the general public or maybe even get into events for free.

Of course, my intentions are not to use this to my advantage and get into every event at no cost. My intentions are to be able to practice my photography skills and maybe make additional contacts.

I found this site while searching for info on press passes:

http://www.backstage-passes.com/index.html

Comments?

Thank you
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:15 AM   #2

Real press credentials are generally issued to working members of the press community from their employer or contractor, and sometimes school.

They can then be used to obtain press passes to events, those events that require real credentials will verify the authenticity with the issuing agency(if they accept them as a valid issuer).

It used to be possible to purchase fake credentials from places like IFPO, if they are still in business. If they are any use I do not know. Sometimes just calling the event organizer telling them what you want to do and asking can work too.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
Sometimes just calling the event organizer telling them what you want to do and asking can work too.
Ok, that would be good for a pre-scheduled event like a high school football game. What about an event that just happens? Like an accident? Several years ago, a train derailed and a friend with a police issued press pass got me past the "POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS." That, as I said was many years ago, so I no longer have contact with that individual. He got the press pass because he was on the college newspaper. If I just called up my police dept and said "Hi, I'm a freelance photographer, can I get a press pass?" I probably would get hung up on.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:06 AM   #4

We are in different countries so this may not apply, but here every township has a local paper or two. Get in contact with them and see if they will take you on as a stringer or freelancer. If so they should issue some form of credentials to say you are working for them.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote