Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:34 PM   #1

Default Kodak EasyShare 6490 vs Olympus 750UZ

Looking for some advice for a new cameral purchase. Struggling between the Kodak EasyShare 6490 and the Olympus 750UZ. Basically I will use the camera for hunting and wildlife pictures, that is why I want the 10X optical zoom. A couple of concerns that I have with the Kodak is the Kodak battery pack rather than AA batteries. I have also read about some issues with compression. I do however like the docking station that the Kodak comes with. Not sure which one is the most user friendly as my wife will be using as well. I also noticed that the Olympus uses a XD card which appears to be a good bit more expensive than the SD. Any thoughts on these two cameras or other options would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2003, 8:51 PM   #2

Hi Bushwhacker,

Read this URL for a possible answer to your question. I to narrowed it down to these 2 cameras, the only thing that made me go for the Kodak was the price. Overall (including 256MB and tax) it was a good $200 Canadian cheaper. I'd say image quality is pretty equal from what I have seen.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=16743
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I read the review and that is kind of where I am now. Basically I am finding the 750 and 6490 for about the same price. WIll probably make the decision in a day or so. Thaks again

Bushwacker
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:27 AM   #4

I believe that both are quality cameras. The 750 may be a slight lead because it has a hot shoe for external flash. If the hot shoe does not interest you then I would test each camera. The Kodak has an edge when you have the docking station. My sis loves the ease of transferring her pictures with her 6490. The large lcd screen is great also.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply, I am leaning toward the Kodak. What is your opinion about the battery pack for the Kodak rather than AA for the Olympus.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:42 PM   #6

My sis can take over 200 photos with the Kodak battery pack. I would recommend a second battery for the camera. This is drawback for the Kodak 6490.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:46 PM   #7

I found a extra battery at www.amazon.com for $25.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:30 PM   #8

Default Battery info

You can use AA batteries in the Kodak. In a pinch, this would be great. Stick with the kodak battery if you can though.

If you use rechargable AA's (non Kodak pack), they will not get charged if the camera is placed in the dock. The black "case" that the kodak batteries have trips a small white switch inside the battery compartment to start charging. If you use regular AA's or regular rechargable AA's, they will not trip the switch.

Just one way Kodak gets you to buy their batteries. Convenience.
mckeand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:32 AM   #9

Default Re: Battery info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13
You can use AA batteries in the Kodak. In a pinch, this would be great. Stick with the kodak battery if you can though.

Just one way Kodak gets you to buy their batteries. Convenience.
Was just wondering if there is any way to charge rechargable
AA batteries in a Kodak with the external AC Power Adaptor instead of needing to either remove batteries and charging in a charger or having to buy the expensive and not very useful docking station?

I think it's one of the stupidest thing Kodak has done was to make a camera which can use external power supply but it cannot charge the batteries while they are inside the camera.

Maybe there is a trick to this, like you were talking about this micro-switch or ???
(has to be a easy way do not want to take the camera apart much) :roll: My camera is just an inexpensive CX6230 however I read the spec's of a lot more expensive ones and they all seem to work the same way unfortunatly. Would be great to be able to charge the 2 AA rechargable batteries with the power adaptor..

Thanks!
Mrjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:11 AM   #10

I didn't think you could use AA batteries in the dx6490...?
thekaz is offline   Reply With Quote