Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:29 AM   #1

Default Cheapest DSLR with HD

Which is the cheapest DSLR with HD that I can find in the market. I am looking to grab one around Christmas time to get competetive rates. Apart from that pls. also educate me about the default lens kit. I want to take very sharp photos, i may also require reasonable zoom, indoor pictures. I hate blurred/shaky pics. Moreover if i don't go for a DSLR, which is the best p & s that i can find which could give me very sharp, crisp, blur free image quality, reasonable indoor/night shots, HD, reasonable zoom.
smhhasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:48 AM   #2

If you want good HD video, a camcorder will do a better job, and cost less.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:08 AM   #3

You can get the T1i kit from Amazon for $729 and get an instant $200 rebate when you also buy the 55-250 lens.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:23 PM   #4

yeah but i also want to take pictures which is primarily why i want a camera.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:51 PM   #5

The Pentax K-x (~$650 with kit lens) is 12MP and can record 720p at 24fps.

The Nikon D5000 (~$750 with kit lens) is 12MP and can record 720p at 24fps.

The Canon T1i (~$730 with kit lens) is 15MP and can record 720p at 30fps and 1080 at 20fps.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:52 PM   #6

A friend of mine just bought the Nikon D5000. Great camera for the money. In addition to its impressive HD video, there's another intriguing feature. My friend took a sequence of photos of the night sky, looking over the trees in his back yard. He used the camera's intervalometer function, and sat inside while the camera shot a frame per minute (4 second exposure, 3200 ISO). Then, the camera stitched the 200 frames into an AVI file. On the screen, you can see the stars arcing smoothly through the sky. Quite a spectacular video. Also, the D5000 has the nifty tilting/rotating LCD, which makes high and very low angle photos a breeze, and can also be used like an old-fashioned waist-level viewfinder.
neilcrichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Thanks so much for ur replies.. I think i'll have to go for the Pentax k-x due to my limited budget... I just want to know how good that camera is? I suppose it should be good but i have a friend who has a Canon 1000D and he was severely criticising the Pentax brand.... so i just want to know how good that SLR is from Pentax, looks appealing to me though
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:47 AM   #8

I think there are some Canon people have trouble with Pentax because a very long time ago (in the old film days), Pentax was a very big name in camera manufacturing. I think some feel very threatened just by the name and will run down the brand because of some long, lost history. On the other hand, the Pentax AF system isn't as advanced as the Canon's higher level cameras - something that matters mostly (and significantly) in sports.

The sample pictures I've seen from the K-x look very, very good - makes it very hard to resist getting one. I have the more expensive Pentax K-7 and love it, but from what I've seen, the K-x has better high-ISO pictures. I've been very happy with all of the Pentax dSLR cameras I've owned (I sold 2 of them as I've upgraded). The first one I ever owned was still working very well several months ago when it was stolen, and I'm still using the 6 mp K100. So I definitely don't NEED another camera (but that doesn't change the fact that I sure would like one!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:39 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I think there are some Canon people have trouble with Pentax because a very long time ago (in the old film days), Pentax was a very big name in camera manufacturing. I think some feel very threatened just by the name and will run down the brand because of some long, lost history.
i don't think it even goes that deep. some people are just fanboys (any system) and will just run-down anything that is not theirs. lol.

anyways, TCAV mentioned the 3 cameras i had in mind. any of them would server your purposes quite well.

i suggest heading down to the local camera shop and spending some time with each of them. get a feel for which one has the ergonomics, menu-layout, and such that best fits your own preferences. and go from there. that should allow you to easily rule-in or rule-out some models.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:39 PM   #10

hasan-

The Pentax Kx model is a very good DSLR camera. It comes with the Pentax 18-55mm lens and is also available in a two lens kit which includes the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens. In fact, please do not tell your friend and make him/her feel badly, but the Pentax Kx has actually better low light shooting capabilities than the Canon XS or 1000D model.

You can buy with confidence and know that you are getting an excellent DSLR.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Nov 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM. Reason: grammar correction
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote