Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:59 PM   #1

Default Basic question - Number images in a post?

I see post where people number the images to make it easier for people to comment on or have comments on each photo. I am having trouble figuring out how to put numbers between each image. I use the attached images and can not insert number or comments between the photos. I see there is also a way to link images from a different website which I prefer not to use. The only way I can see is to add each image a separate post.

How do I insert the numbers?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks

Tom
schent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:13 AM   #2

Images that are inserted into a post with the Manage Attachments option are in the Attached Images area and are seperated from the body of the post, so you can't insert text between them. The posts you see with text between the images were not created that way. If an image already exists elsewhere on the internet, that image can be copied from its actual location and pasted into the body of a post here. An image can be on a photo sharing site like Picasa or Flickr, or it can be on someone's own personal website.

If you right-click on an image in a post, and select Properties, you'll see the URL of the images actual location on the web. If it's inside the Attached Images border, the image was uploaded using the Manage Attachments and will have a URL like http://forums.steves-digicams.com/at.../some-filename. If it's within the body of a post, it will have a URL like http://images.imageshack.us/attachme.../some-filename.

If you want to add images to your posts in such a way that you can insert text between them, you need to have posted them somewhere else first.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 8:50 AM   #3

Thanks TCav, thats something Ive wondered about too.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Images that are inserted into a post with the Manage Attachments option are in the Attached Images area and are seperated from the body of the post, so you can't insert text between them. The posts you see with text between the images were not created that way. If an image already exists elsewhere on the internet, that image can be copied from its actual location and pasted into the body of a post here. An image can be on a photo sharing site like Picasa or Flickr, or it can be on someone's own personal website.

If you right-click on an image in a post, and select Properties, you'll see the URL of the images actual location on the web. If it's inside the Attached Images border, the image was uploaded using the Manage Attachments and will have a URL like http://forums.steves-digicams.com/at.../some-filename. If it's within the body of a post, it will have a URL like http://images.imageshack.us/attachme.../some-filename.

If you want to add images to your posts in such a way that you can insert text between them, you need to have posted them somewhere else first.

This is very interesting. I never used the "Managed Attachments" option, since you can just hit the above icon and directly place an image.

It's really nice that those without access to a netsite can still post their images.

Odd that the Managed Attachments dialogue allows you to upload from a site. Might as well delete that option, since when you hit the above icon, that's what you're doing anyway.

Is more bandwidth being used with the managed attachment dialogue?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Is more bandwidth being used with the managed attachment dialogue?
If the image exists somewhere else on the internet, then this site only stores the link to it at it's actual location.

If the image is uploaded here, then this site maintains the image. It takes up space on Steve's servers which they would probably like to conserve, but it will probably display faster than if it was on some other site. Also, sometimes, people will paste an image from some other site so it appears within the body of a post here, but if they forget and delete it from the other site, the image won't appear in their post here.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
If the image exists somewhere else on the internet, then this site only stores the link to it at it's actual location.

If the image is uploaded here, then this site maintains the image. It takes up space on Steve's servers which they would probably like to conserve, but it will probably display faster than if it was on some other site. Also, sometimes, people will paste an image from some other site so it appears within the body of a post here, but if they forget and delete it from the other site, the image won't appear in their post here.
Right. So why not get rid of that option to post from a URL, since probably someone who could simply post an image, might out of ignorance post from that option.

The nice thing about that option is for those without their own site. Or am I missing something?

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:10 PM   #7

You're complaining because there are too many options?

Use what works for you.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:53 PM   #8

Quote:
You're complaining because there are too many options?

Use what works for you.
Me complain? Actually, I thought I was giving advice to the owners of this site...

I'm not the one paying for bandwidth.

Dave
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:15 PM   #9

That option is so people with Picasa, Flickr, SmugMug, etc. accounts can just upload their images to one place, and then include those images here. And since, in those instances, this site only maintains the link to the image, the effort of retrieving the image from the other site is yours not theirs.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 6:40 PM   #10

Quote:
That option is so people with Picasa, Flickr, SmugMug, etc. accounts can just upload their images to one place, and then include those images here. And since, in those instances, this site only maintains the link to the image, the effort of retrieving the image from the other site is yours not theirs.
Ahh, so now I know what I was missing. Thanks.

Dave