Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:31 PM   #1

Default A little weird off topic question

I'm in the process of moving and my Internet provider tells me that I will lose service for ten days - Such is life...

Anyway, today I pulled my answering machine/telephone off the wall to set it up in my new place, and since I'm not moving until Friday, hooked up a cheap temporary phone, just to stay in touch - No dial tone. Turns out that the phone company disconnected me at that exact moment I pulled it off the wall. Also turns out that they connected to my new address at the same time.

As for my question? Here I am with a dead phone line, and yet my DSL connection is (as you can see) still working. I did not know that this was possible. Anyone knows how this works?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:37 PM   #2

Same thing happened to me. After I cancelled the phone and internet service with Bell the phone went off then after a week the internet went. For that week I thought they forgot about me and I was going to get free Internet. Well guess what? They didnt, and I didnt. Although both services are on the same line they are from two different sources so they dont actually cut the line, just stop sending through it the phone service. The internet will follow as sure as drunks follow hookers.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Same thing happened to me. After I cancelled the phone and internet service with Bell the phone went off then after a week the internet went. For that week I thought they forgot about me and I was going to get free Internet. Well guess what? They didnt, and I didnt. Although both services are on the same line they are from two different sources so they dont actually cut the line, just stop sending through it the phone service. The internet will follow as sure as drunks follow hookers.
I don't doubt you for a minute. In NYC however, DSL is connected via the phone company. I asked the phone company rep about my DSL. She put me on hold for ten minutes and explained this to me.

Earthlink, my provider, notifies the phone company of a DSL connection. The phone company in turn, switches the DSL on (or in this case off). After a diligent *****h, turns out they have no record of Earthlink setting this up (This was about ten years ago) and therefore can neither help nor hurt me. (No record? They have to be kidding me). Meanwhile Earthlink was supposed to cut me off this AM.

No doubt I WONT have a connection when I plug in at my new place - But I am still puzzled at all of this. It appears that my prayers to the Great God Baal are paying off, because Earthlink is not charging me for todays service...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:52 PM   #4

A few years ago i canceled my internet connection, but it continued to work for 2 years lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote