Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:54 PM   #11

With just over 690GB of photos filed and saved since 2000 here is what I do.

I Download pictures to the internal hard drive. Using one folder per event etc. Folder is titled by date such as 11-11-09 and then title of event....

folder will read 11-11-09 House Fire 9 Random Road

I then view them with Microsoft Picture It. It quick and easy and you can go back and forth in a hurry and hit the delete button as needed. At this time I delete all the bad photos, out of focus and non-keepers.

I then edit as needed (crop, brighten, color curves whatever is needed). Sometimes I crop as I am culling the photos (step before this one)

I then use batch edit function in Adobe Photo Shop Elements and re-title them in number order

I will then add any caption info needed to the photo title

I then take the folder and copy it to my external netgear drive in a folder that is the same name as the DVD it will be filed on. Each folder on the external drive is the name as a DVD in my file cabinet. i.e. exact duplicates.......

Once that is complete I open the folder and radomly open a few images to make sure it took

I then copy the same folder to the DVD and randomly check files to make sure they took.

Once that is complete I open my index MS Word Document and go to the name of the DVD (filed in alphabetical order) and add the name of the folder I justed added to the disc/external drive.

Takes a while but I am always able to find what I am looking for and with two copies on seperate media I haven't really lost any photos due to media failure in a long while.

Now it safe to delete the folder on the internal hard drive.

Use only Seagate Hard Drives (1TGB for photo storage and 500GB in my laptop) and have been using Memorex DVD-Rs since Jan 2007, Verbatim DVD+DL since October 2008 and Memorex CD-Rs since October 2008... have assorted Sony, Maxell and Phillips discs piror to those dates. I find the memorex discs have the lest number of write and long term storage failures. However the Memorex Dual Layers do not write without errors in my laptop so I use verbatim for that (use Dual Layers to hold an entire wedding on one disc).

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
With just over 690GB of photos filed and saved since 2000 here is what I do.

I Download pictures to the internal hard drive. Using one folder per event etc. Folder is titled by date such as 11-11-09 and then title of event....

folder will read 11-11-09 House Fire 9 Random Road

I then view them with Microsoft Picture It. It quick and easy and you can go back and forth in a hurry and hit the delete button as needed. At this time I delete all the bad photos, out of focus and non-keepers.

I then edit as needed (crop, brighten, color curves whatever is needed). Sometimes I crop as I am culling the photos (step before this one)

I then use batch edit function in Adobe Photo Shop Elements and re-title them in number order

I will then add any caption info needed to the photo title

I then take the folder and copy it to my external netgear drive in a folder that is the same name as the DVD it will be filed on. Each folder on the external drive is the name as a DVD in my file cabinet. i.e. exact duplicates.......

Once that is complete I open the folder and radomly open a few images to make sure it took

I then copy the same folder to the DVD and randomly check files to make sure they took.

Once that is complete I open my index MS Word Document and go to the name of the DVD (filed in alphabetical order) and add the name of the folder I justed added to the disc/external drive.

Takes a while but I am always able to find what I am looking for and with two copies on seperate media I haven't really lost any photos due to media failure in a long while.

Now it safe to delete the folder on the internal hard drive.

Use only Seagate Hard Drives (1TGB for photo storage and 500GB in my laptop) and have been using Memorex DVD-Rs since Jan 2007, Verbatim DVD+DL since October 2008 and Memorex CD-Rs since October 2008... have assorted Sony, Maxell and Phillips discs piror to those dates. I find the memorex discs have the lest number of write and long term storage failures. However the Memorex Dual Layers do not write without errors in my laptop so I use verbatim for that (use Dual Layers to hold an entire wedding on one disc).

dave
What percentage do you actually print on a 4 x 6?
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:06 PM   #13

Answers, in no particular order.

1. Take fewer shots. Just because you can take several hundred photos on a memory card without changing batteries, doesn't mean you should. Pay more attention and take your time to compose the shot.(sports excluded) 200 pictures of the Grand Canyon won't mean any more to someone who wasn't there with you, than 3 will, and someone who was there with you will only need 3 to jog the memory anyway.
2. Cull, cull, cull. As I have said before, I use Sturgeon's Rule for my own work.
3. As JimC says, keep your photos filed by date, and then you can use any number of programs for tagging them as to content and quality. MS Photo info is one. PS and others also have their own for catalogging and creating albums.
4. Backup to multiple media. And keep a set of backups in an alternate location.
5. Follow my advice better than I do.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote