Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:34 AM   #1

Default How do you view your photos and when?

With digital cameras, one can fire off 1,000 shots pretty quickly.
How many of the photos do you actually print, and how do you deal with having so many photos that .....they can just get lost in a sea of photo folders on a hard drive? In the old days, you had film cameras and every shot you took you had developed. So you might go on vacation and take 3 or 4 rolls of photos and then have them developed and put them in a photo album. At any time you can bring them to a friends house or when someone comes to your home, show the photos of your last trip.

With digital camera's printing every photo you take is too expensive with taking thousands of photos. It seems the average person just throws them on their hard drive and they barely look at them. Yes it's good to back them up on a CD, but they can get lost. 2 years can go by and your like oh I have not seen the photos I took on (X) trip in a while and you go back, try to find them and then look at them on your computer screen. I am kinda of old school I know. Getting great photos, sending them to a company like shutter bug, sending them to family and friends, and all that, but I find with a full time job, wife, kids, and normaly activities, it's hard to keep on top of all the photos your taking. Anyone else out there find the same thing.

Now that I have a new camera, I am trying to get more disciplined in taking the time to make the detailed folders on my computer so I can find things easier, and backing everything up on a CD. Then after having over 100 shots, find the ones I want to print, and email them to the local drug store and have them print them for me. But it seems you will still have hundreds of shots that are really nice just lost in the sea of photos on your hard drive. How do you guys deal with these issues?
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:54 AM   #2

Glenn,

I think you'll get a lot of different answers. For myself, I no longer keep every shot I take. Here's my workflow:
1) Download photos. Break photos into different folders as needed - depends on how many different things I have on the CF card.
2) If I shot RAW+JPEG I move RAW images to a subset folder.
3) Then I go through my culling / editing process. I tend to work with JPEGs - I only use the RAW files if I had a problem with my flash, exposure or white balance. Or if I want to do a blended exposure.
4) at the end of this process I've thrown out everything not worth keeping/printing.
5) Go back through and throw out some more that are just uninteresting or duplicate type shots.
6) Delete raw folders. Yes some people keep their 'negatives' - I don't any more.
7) Upload photos to my smugmug account. That's my key backup.
8) Occasionally burn to DVD. But Smugmug is my primary backup. I have unlimmited storage there and they have redundant backups.

I really delete a lot of photos. For instance I took my son to the park a week ago - took 100 photos and kept 15 or so. Of those 15 I may print only 6-8.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Glenn,

I think you'll get a lot of different answers. For myself, I no longer keep every shot I take. Here's my workflow:
1) Download photos. Break photos into different folders as needed - depends on how many different things I have on the CF card.
2) If I shot RAW+JPEG I move RAW images to a subset folder.
3) Then I go through my culling / editing process. I tend to work with JPEGs - I only use the RAW files if I had a problem with my flash, exposure or white balance. Or if I want to do a blended exposure.
4) at the end of this process I've thrown out everything not worth keeping/printing.
5) Go back through and throw out some more that are just uninteresting or duplicate type shots.
6) Delete raw folders. Yes some people keep their 'negatives' - I don't any more.
7) Upload photos to my smugmug account. That's my key backup.
8) Occasionally burn to DVD. But Smugmug is my primary backup. I have unlimmited storage there and they have redundant backups.

I really delete a lot of photos. For instance I took my son to the park a week ago - took 100 photos and kept 15 or so. Of those 15 I may print only 6-8.
Hmm, I agree with a lot of what you said. The only concern I have with your back up of photos is we really don't know how long a particular web site will be around. I think many would be upset if a site like shutterbug does not stay around due to finances, or the owner no longer wants to continue with the site.
Nikon Coolpix 5700
Canon Elan SLR

Glenn
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:09 AM   #4

The first thing I do when I get back from taking photos is I transfer the folder of photos from the flash memory card to my hard disk drive. I rename the folder to something like "091120 - Event Name" (the year, month, and date followed by the name of the event.) Then I make a copy of it, rename it to "Originals", and then put that folder inside the first folder. (This lets me easily recover from any stupid mistakes I might make, an extremely unlikely event, but better safe than sorry.)

Then I go through the photos in the first folder, culling it down to the ones that are technically ok or that won't take too much effort to salvage (the ones I wouldn't mind showing anybody.) I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager for this. It comes free with MS Office, and has some simple features that help with this process. I don't use it to edit the photos, just to examine them and delete them if needed.

Then I do any post processing in other programs, usually Adobe Photoshop Elements, but occasionally something else, depending on what needs to be done.

The ones that I'm particularly pleased with, I print out myself from PSE onto an Epson R260 as 8x10s, plus additional copies for other people that might be interested.

Then I make CDs or DVDs of photos in the first folder for other people that might be interested, plus another set, including the Originals folder, for me.

At the end of the year, I make another folder like "2009", and move all the folders for events during that year into that folder.

Is that what you were asking?

Last edited by TCav; Nov 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
... I think many would be upset if a site like shutterbug does not stay around due to finances, or the owner no longer wants to continue with the site.
Then you might want to consider Picasa or Flickr, which are owned by Google and Yahoo, respectively. I think you'll agree that those two companies aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I have a free 2GB account on Photoshop.com, owned by Adobe, another company that's likely to be with us for a while.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:20 AM   #6
Administrator

I try to keep a folder structure by date like this:

/photos/20091030
/photos/20091101
/photos/20091104
etc.

That way, the folders will sort correctly by date (using yyyymmdd) by the folder name under variety of file systems and operating systems; and if you can remember approx. when you took a photo, using folder dates makes it easier to locate them.

For keeping track of images, you'll find lots of features in newer image viewing applications for sorting images by tags and assigning ratings to images.

For example, here's a nice image management application for Linux that I have installed:

http://www.digikam.org

It allows you to easily assign one or more tags to images, which can be anything you want them to be (subject names, event names. photo type, etc.). Then, you can easily find all photos matching those tags later. Note the tags section on the right side of this screen showing certain tags clicked to find images that had those tags assigned. This is an image in an album one of the developers has posted online:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Many other image management applications have similar features. Even the free Google Picasa (now available for Mac, Windows and Linux operating systems) lets you assign tags to images. It can also do searches for faces (so that you can use names in the tags for images found). See this page for how that works:

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...y?answer=93973

A number of other image management applications have similar features.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7

I always go load them on the computer then go through them and then down the best ones that I like in to different files after down sizing them and every chance I get I save them to a disc for safe keeping. as back up etc. which I need to do now as well if it will let me.
Then I wipe all the pictures off the computer and just use the disc when I need to draw up something. At least till I get a safe box where I can load them all in to that in one dump at a time I do load up a lot in different sites as well to share just like all the other trillions of other people.

For the business I will have a strong box that will hold all the shots as well a file case with all the disc's labeled with clients number and on the disc will be the other information name date taken and subjects names and place taken for historical data. it takes time of course and lots of computer skills and knowlege which are simple .
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:33 AM   #8

My Finepix software automatically saves each days shooting in a folder named for that day. Since June of 2007 when I got my first digital camera Ive collected over 25,000 shots. Unlike JohnG's sensible approach of throwing out all the bad stuff, I keep everthing. BIG MISTAKE. The one thing I would highly recommend to everyone who is reading this is to TAG YOUR SHOTS. I havent started yet and the number 25,000 frightens me off from starting. Thus to find a shot now I have to spend a lot of time going through everything. What a pain. To view the photos I like I won a digital picture frame which is kind of neat. It displays your shots like a slide show.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:04 PM   #9

in my general photography i used to keep my mistakes, but i sat down one day and went through all my pics and weeded them quite severly, from my horse events, (because i sell them) i keep them all unless they are out of focus or very bad, which since getting the nikon D90 they rarley are.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:05 PM   #10
Super Moderator

using lightroom to import, i name everything based on the date taken. immediately i go through and cull out all the shots i have no interest in keeping. i only keep a few working folders on my computer. the others i archive online and to my external harddrive.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote