Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Black Friday Deals

Do any of the one-line sites such as

newegg.com; bhphotovideo or adorama usually have special sales on Black Friday or sales in December for the Christmas Holidays.

I'm in the market for a few things if the price is right since a lot of the brick and motor places (Walmart, Best Buy etc.) have sales wondering if placed on line might.

Never bothered to check in the past

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:23 AM   #2

You could look at TigerDirect.com. They have been having pre-black Friday sales for the last couple of Fridays. Of course, they have specials every week, anyway. I have found them to be a very good retailer, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:13 PM   #3

Try here:
http://blackfriday.*******************/

Of course, not every etailer posts their stuff there, but at least you can get a feeling for what's out there.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:45 PM   #4

Many of these "sales" are

1) established price. Nothing special to write home to mother about. If you are stupid enough to think it is really "on sale" then the vendor will be more than happy to take your money. Don't be surprise if the price "last weeK' was actually better than the B-F sale price.

2) Last year's models. Got some Nikon D80's laying around? No problem. Put the suckers on sale for $5 cheaper. Somebody is bound to buy them. Of course if the last year's model is half the price of the current model AND you be assured that you are not buying a totally farkedup rebuild, then grab the sucker.

3) Rebuilds/refurbs being sold as "new". Yes, technically new but not the same because the terms of the warranty is much shorter/limited than normal. There are a lot of rebuilds, factory refurbished or whatever you want to call them circulating through the Black Friday sales. Especially common with so called "static" items, stuff that never has a real change in the model year, like a paper shredder.

4) About to be discontinued. The vendor knows it and wants to get rid of it. Manufacturers know it too. It is not uncommon for a manufacturer to dump their about to be discontinued models into the rebuild/refurb pile. New, new cameras being sold as "refurbs". Because refurbs have a limited warranty AND the warranty cost of any new consumer electronic item is significant, the manufacturer will actually come out ahead selling their about to be discontinued products as refurbs.

5) Manufacturer sale/incentive program. The same goods will suddenly appear at the same price at a wide variety of vendors (WallyWorld, Dell, Crutchfield, B&H and Mom+Pop have combined forces and agreed to sell the same camera, two lens and pink camera bag combination for the same exact price). Yea, right. I smell manufacturer program. Nothing wrong with these programs. Just don't let the vendor tell you about their buying volume BS generating these wonderful savings.

6) Special purchase. Need to sell a TV or camera for $100 less than the competition? No problem. The manufacturer will strip out a couple key (or minor) features, buff the terms of terms of the warranty, change out the spiffy showroom packaging and add an alpha character to the end of the model number. Bingo, we just created a special purchase product. If you can tolerate not having a remote control for your big screen TV and don't mind the memory only holding 14 channels then you will love the savings you are about to recieve.

Bottom line, buyer beware.... they are out there to take your $.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Do any of the one-line sites such as

newegg.com; bhphotovideo or adorama usually have special sales on Black Friday or sales in December for the Christmas Holidays.

I'm in the market for a few things if the price is right since a lot of the brick and motor places (Walmart, Best Buy etc.) have sales wondering if placed on line might.

Never bothered to check in the past

dave
Newegg does a Black Friday sale. They post at the last minute, pretty much. I've bought pc components there for years (4 pages worth), and I just bought my first camera from them. I trust that vendor more then any other for fast shipping, competitive pricing and if you need to RMA (return) a product they are unbeatable.

reseller ratings rates them EXCELLENT

http://www.resellerratings.com/resel...newegg&review=
NewSD780IS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 1:34 AM   #6

Adorama is having a black friday sale RIGHT NOW
jimbellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7

bhphotovideo is having free shipping on a number of items

on the look-out for the best price on a sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 for Sony body now. Not on sale at any of the normal sites I look at except they all have free shipping today on the lens which is about a $16 value.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote