Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:15 PM   #1

Default Canon SX20 focus zoom help

Hello,

I picked up one of the Canon SX20's a few weeks back. I have enjoyed it for the most part. I am having an issue that I think is just something I need to learn. When I zoom into something that is not far away and try to get a "extreme close-up" it is never able to focus. I try using manual and it seems look better, but not as sharp as I would like. It does it in almost all light settings. I want to be able to get very close-up shots with out having to be inches away.

Any ideas?

I know the Panasonic is the biggest competitor to this one and can anyone say if they have had luck with this (on all auto settings)
deanq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanq4 View Post
Hello,

I picked up one of the Canon SX20's a few weeks back. I have enjoyed it for the most part. I am having an issue that I think is just something I need to learn. When I zoom into something that is not far away and try to get a "extreme close-up" it is never able to focus. I try using manual and it seems look better, but not as sharp as I would like. It does it in almost all light settings. I want to be able to get very close-up shots with out having to be inches away.

Any ideas?

I know the Panasonic is the biggest competitor to this one and can anyone say if they have had luck with this (on all auto settings)
Put it in Macro mode. Usually, a little button or icon on the dial that looks like a little flower.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 1:18 PM   #3

Thanks, I tried that and it still is blurry. I don't mean a little blurry I mean fully out of focus. I am trying to zoom in 15-20x on something that is like 4-5 feet away. It shows the item in focus for a second then goes out of focus. If I use the marco it is worse unless I get close enough to take it down to 2-3x, then the lens gets into the way of the flash and it is shaded. ( i know flash sucks)

Any other ideas? I had an old canon that took great close up photo's but it had only 3x zoom.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks, I tried that and it still is blurry. I don't mean a little blurry I mean fully out of focus. I am trying to zoom in 15-20x on something that is like 4-5 feet away. It shows the item in focus for a second then goes out of focus. If I use the marco it is worse unless I get close enough to take it down to 2-3x, then the lens gets into the way of the flash and it is shaded. ( i know flash sucks)

Any other ideas? I had an old canon that took great close up photo's but it had only 3x zoom.
That's why. If you're shooting macro, move the camera to the subject. Move CLOSE. Usually, at least with an Oly in Super-macro, the zoom is disabled. Zoom is highly limited in macro mode. You're dealing with a whole new animal now.
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 30, 2009, 2:27 PM   #5

that's odd....I would go to a store and try it on the display there. My Panasonic fz35 focuses perfectley
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:37 PM   #6

Yeah, I got the thing at costco on line so will have to find a store that carries it. would love to find a place that carries the fz35 as well.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
That's why. If you're shooting macro, move the camera to the subject. Move CLOSE. Usually, at least with an Oly in Super-macro, the zoom is disabled. Zoom is highly limited in macro mode. You're dealing with a whole new animal now.
is there any way to do that in a med-low light situation that doesn't leave a shadow on the subject? Using flash that is.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:33 PM   #8

Quote:
is there any way to do that in a med-low light situation that doesn't leave a shadow on the subject? Using flash that is.
Sounds like you'll have to check your manual for that one. I don't know.
My Gallery

--
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:32 PM   #9

For close-up flash without shadows, you probably need a ring flash, or one or two slave flashes to light the subject evenly.

Re-check the specs in your camera manual to see if your subject is within the proper focus range for the camera. Per the specs page on Steve's review, your cam should focus down to 1 meter in telephoto setting (non-macro). If ther isn't enough light, though, it may have difficulty, especially if you are hand holding the camera.
Try using a tripod or bean bag to steady the camera.

brian
Focusing Range
Normal: 1.6 ft./50cm-infinity (W), 3.3 ft./1m-infinity (T)
Macro: 3.9 in.-1.6 ft./10-50cm (W)
Super macro: 0-3.9 in./0-10cm (W)
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:27 PM   #10

Default Canon SX20 focus zoom help : reply

Quote:

I just picked up Canon SX20 for Christmas. I too experienced exactly what you're describing above. I too assume that it is my lack of knowledge rather than a camera limitation. I too tried jumping to Macro (not the right result). I've obviously not had time to go through the manual (on CD...bummer) - but I'm encouraged to find that there is a forum (here) to share ideas/learnings. I wish I had more to share at the moment....but if I discover something that addresses this I definitely jump back in.
Garyd333 is offline   Reply With Quote