Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:02 PM   #1

Default Who only takes widescreen format pictures?

Hello.

Ever since I got a flat screen monitor I have only been taking widescreen format pictures on my Canon point and shoot cameras. I love putting my pics as Windows wallpapers and I don't like seeing the pictures get stretched. I'm sure most people have widecsreen computer and laptops now and I was wondering would there be any good reason not to use widescreen format if all of my pictures are going to be staying on the computer?
Phillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:35 PM   #2

Here's when sensor size really matters. In my p&s 16:9 will always render less megapixels than in 4:3.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:51 PM   #3

just crop a regular image to same dimensions of your screen size.....no stretch, u will loose a little at top and bottom
thats if u shoot landscape format.........if u shoot portaite format then itll never work

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:31 PM   #4

There's always the Panorama option if you dear to uber wide picks and mandatory pp.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimator View Post
just crop a regular image to same dimensions of your screen size.....no stretch, u will loose a little at top and bottom
thats if u shoot landscape format.........if u shoot portaite format then itll never work

Gary

I wouldn't know how to crop a regular size image to fit my screen size, which is why I always pick widescreen format on my point and shoot camera. I also just noticed one drawback with widescreen format... uploading a widescreen pic to facebook will result in a smaller sized picture after it's cropped as compared to uploading a standard size picture... hmm...
Phillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:42 AM   #6

I shoot in whatever the camera shoots in, my digital video (tape) cam is wide screen, my SD video cam shoots 4:3 format and my DSLR. Well the SLR format is whatever the finished crop ends up being after PP is finish. I fit frames to my pictures, I don't make pictures to fit frames. Something left over from my 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 film days, the film was square so the prints were square.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7

I shoot whatever my sensor size is to get maximum resolution. If I want to make a desktop background of it I just choose to "fit" to desktop and it's fine. If you choose "stretch" that's when you run into distortion problems.
RobertDavis is offline   Reply With Quote